1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did i get the shaft

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by smellyhash, Jun 16, 2009.

1. smellyhash

smellyhash Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Long story short. Just moved and called D* to do the move. Tec shows up and shows me where "he" will run the wire. Looked like there was going to be wires ALL along the front of my house. The entire house has a 3.5ft crawlspace underneath it. Simply asked if he minded going under the house to run the wires(this after i ordered pizza for him and me and we had a few great white's)(good beer):grin:. He told me sure he would install the wires under the house no problem it was just going to cost me 50 bucks. Whooo i say the person i contacted @ D* told me that the tech would go to the crawlspace no problem. When confronted with this i was told "if they sent out a D* install they would do whatever i say, but since he was a contractor he HAD to charge me.

I payed him so the front of my house did not look like a$$ but do i have a leg to stand on as far as recouping the 50 from D*? IMO since they did not send out one of "there" guys i got screwed out of 50 bucks. Installers did he pull a fast one on me? Or is this legit.

Thanks, The hash

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think this could be the installer's call. DirecTV offers "standard" installation at no extra charge, but fishing wires through walls or what they refer to as a "custom" install is extra. My personal take on this being familiar with crawlspaces is that you probably got a pretty good deal for only $50 extra.

PS: Welcome to DBSTALK.COM!! :welcome_s

3. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Also, I have never heard of them having in house employees doing an install. Even the guys I have met that drive the Directv trucks are contractors in my area. Seems that you were within the scope of a custom job. And if you think it was done right then $50 is worth it.

4. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007

He even drank your beer and still wanted to charge you!!! That's bad customer service. :(

5. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    Try a polite email to D*, not in a blaming tone, just asking if there was a miscommunication. Remember. more flies with honey. It may not be worth anything, but it never hurts to ask. Frankly I don't know the answer one way or another. Some of the other replies might have come from installers, they post here. I tend to think they may be correct about $50 being worth it. But then again, my installer did not charge me to go in my attic, in Houston, in the summer.

One last thought. Did you pay cash? Write a check to him? Or make out a check to a company?

6. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    50 bucks for a crawlspace? Well if it was me and he didn't charge me i would of tiped him the fifty.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I ran cables in my crawlspace (more like 2 feet in some places, with a bunch of rocks) and would have been quite happy to find someone who would do it for $50. I should have run CAT-5 at the same time, but it was long before DVRs supported networking so I didn't think of it.

Still, you should call Directv and ask for "installation support" saying you were promised that it would be free and they may offer you some sort of credit.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    IMHO he shouldn't have accepted the beer. D* really frowns upon that. Very poor judgment from the tech.
    The $50 I do understand, crawl spaces are nasty.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I ran the wires under my own crawl space to avoid confusion when I needed it done. Technically it is custom work so he has every right to charge for it. Plus for the little money they make per job, it just doesnt feel right to expect them to do custom work for free. When the installer came I went into the crawl space, he fed the 4 lines to me so they could be run how I wanted them. Did you offer to work with the guy to accomplish what you wanted?

10. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    I think it was $50 well spent...

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    You did not get the shaft. You got custom service and got charged for custom service.

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Agree 100% $50 a bargin but alcohol is a no no while working.:)

13. smellyhash

smellyhash Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Yea he said he was really hungry,but was broke. What did i do bought 3 medium pizzas from The Hut. Said he was thirsty so what do i do grab some beers from the fridge. So did i work with him, not really but when i guy says im hungry and broke and u feed him id say thats a lil help. The main thing he i think he told me the ugliest way he was going to run the wires just so i would have him do the crawlspace.(which by the way is the NICEST crawlspace ever 4.5 feet tall and clean as a bell.

OK:rolleyes: charter came out a day later and had NO problem crawling the WHOLE house to install phone and internet in all the various rooms in the house. Just hate that "custom" is not standard across the board. I dont think i will call into D* though i would hate for the tech to get charged back karma and all i guess.:)

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Sounds like you've got a decent crawl space. Some don't mind doing those kind - especially if their bellies are full!

A lot of the crawl spaces I read about here are not very large and have dirt (mud? :) ) floors. Your's doesn't sound too bad!

15. bscott

bscott Legend

Jun 4, 2004
    It might just depend on the installer. When I moved in with my girlfriend (now wife) we ditched her cable and brought my D*. D* did it for no charge as part of the movers connection program. I wanted it run through the crawl space as well and the D* representative said at the time that if I wanted that done it might incur additional charges since they did not consider that "standard" installation. My wife stayed home the day the install was done and told the installer where she wanted the cables run and where the crawl space access was and he simply put on some overalls and went at it. No mention of cost and no charge either. She even mentioned that he said he preferred the crawl space rather than having to wire everything all around the house. So it may all come down to the installer and what they prefer.

16. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I used to hate the 4.5' tall crawl spaces, too. You don't come out that nasty but you do come out with back pains from being hunched over the entire time you are working.

17. MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006
    If it takes you THAT long, you need to find another line of work. :lol:

Seriously, from the crawlspaces I have seen, I wouldn't go near one for a "standard" price, if I was an installer. Have been looking at houses lately and there are a lot of basements I wouldn't want to go into either, without hazardous duty pay. :D

18. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Doing an install the "right way" (as in, the way to avoid b.s. chargebacks from Directv and the HSPs) takes a lot of time. Way more time than it should, which is the main reason why I did find another line of work. :)

19. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    When they did my house, I had a place I wanted to put the dish, which was on the side where I had 5 wires running out from the panel inside, then he could just have come down the corner nearby. However, the tech was too afraid to go up there (the house is not that tall, but I do have 9' ceilings and when you add the space between floors and the crawlspace it was 20 feet and the kicker is the roof is a 16/12 pitch). So, there is a laundry area on the other side of the house that actually juts out from the house at the first floor and has a a lower pitch roof so he wanted to put it there.

He started talking about having to run all the extra cable around the house or charge me to go in the crawlspace, then I reminded him that he would be using half the cable to go direct, he was installing the dish there for his convenience and my entire house was prewired with 3 wires each back to one central location so hooking the 3 recievers up was much quicker than if he had to do it from scratch and he did it for free.

20. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I guess, if you couldn't run a creeper in it....