1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I get unfairly chrged for a Dtv 'Mover's' install??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Wizz, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1 of 27
    Wizz

Wizz Cool Member

Mar 4, 2009
    I've been a D* subscriber for a long time and our family just moved and got the 'mover's install.' The installer mounted the Slimline to the side of the brick house. We have two HD receivers...he tapped into an already existing RG6 cable that was right next to the dish for one receiver...then he simply ran a second run of RG6 down from the dish (~4ft), along the bottom of the wall to the front door (~25ft), at the front door he just drilled a hole and ran a loose/unsecured length of RG6 into the living room behind the front door...he told me to use raceway to hide the cable. He didn't run cable between any walls or install any wall plates. He then said it would be $75 since it was a 'special' install but said I could just write him a personal check for $60 instead.

Please let me know as I think what he did should of been part of the install, he was rather rude/in a bad mood. I used to do Private installs back when I worked at Circuit City 10+ years ago and this doesn't sound right...so I'm not an idiot when it comes to Audio/Video. Did I get taken? $60 is a lot of money to our family.

2. Mar 5, 2009 #2 of 27
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Did he discuss the cost with you before the work was done or did he just hit you with that on the way out the door? Sounds fishy to me.

3. Mar 5, 2009 #3 of 27
    Wizz

Wizz Cool Member

Mar 4, 2009
    He originally said the charge was going to be because he would have to drill through the one foot thick wall of our brick over block house to get the cable into the living room...but the front door had decorative wood side panels so he just drilled through the bottom one of those wood panels and used a gromet....the living room is on the other side of that front door so he just loosely laid the 15 ft of RG6 on the floor and connected it to the receiver, he didn't use any wire management or go into any walls.

I thought the mover's install included the dish, the cable, and dirlling any walls to get the cable into the house...that's exactly what he did...

4. Mar 5, 2009 #4 of 27
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Also sounds like maybe not the greatest job in the world but not being there it's hard to say what his install options were for you. It doesn't sound right on the surface though.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #5 of 27
    Chaos

Chaos New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Did you write the check out to him or to the installation company? If it was to him, you just tipped him VERY well. There doesn't seem to be anything about the install that would be considered "Special", and beyond that, it sounds like he did a pretty shoddy installation at that.

6. Mar 5, 2009 #6 of 27
    crasmus22

crasmus22 Mentor

Jan 12, 2009
    Does sound fishy. Did you get a receipt for the 'extra' work? You may want to inquire with D* about this incident.

7. Mar 5, 2009 #7 of 27
    Wizz

Wizz Cool Member

Mar 4, 2009
    He had me make out the check to him personally, I have a snap shot of the check from my online banking account (they take pictures of every check).

I was there...the hardest thing he did was drill into the brick to mount the Slimline, the old Cox cables were right there at the dish location so he tapped one of them for one receiver and ran a new run of ~50ft total as mentioned above for the new receiver drilling one hole in a wood decorative panel next to the door to feed that cable through....

8. Mar 5, 2009 #8 of 27
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I don't know, Wizz, I'd think the scope of the work that was performed is included in a standard install from what you described. Let's let some installers chime in to give their two cents on it. I have a feeling that since technically you agreed to the charges up front (even though he didn't do it exactly as-described) you don't have much of a case.

9. Mar 5, 2009 #9 of 27
    Wizz

Wizz Cool Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Yea...but when I agreed I thought he would be installing a wall plate and running the cable into the wall as that's what we talked about....not just running it through the front door and laying it across the floor...

I'm going to call Dtv and ask them what is included in their standard mover's install and gor from there, I have the installers name and work order and the work order shows nothing special...

10. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Sounds like you just got ripped off by a crooked installer. You should pick up the telephone right now and call the install company and ask for the manager and explain exactly what transpired. There are a lot of crooked and low life installers out there. It is customer beware. After you talk to the install company manager you should get the address on here for ellen filipatrick I think it is. Then send her a E-Mail so DirectV knows this install company has crooks working there.:nono2::nono2::nono2::nono2:

11. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    sounds like a ripoff. IMHO anytime you are asked to give a check to the installer if it in not made out to the company name one of two things is happening. Either the installer is ripping you off or the company he is working for. Either way he is not an honest installer.

12. DtvSlave

DtvSlave Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Being an Installer myself, I can say you just got took. If it was a movers conection that means you called directv and setup the appt., which means more than likely it was an HSP tech that came out to do the work.

For the work he did, even if he had to drill into brick, for an HSP tech that would be considered standard for a movers connection. He misrepresented his self and the work he would of been doing in order to get you to pay him.

Since I have left an HSP and became an Independant, I have had customers write me personal checks for work I have done, but it has always been for "custom work" that would not of been considered standard by Directv.

If, and only if you feel that strongly about what has happened, I would suggest that you call Directv AND the Area Mgr. for the Install company that cam out if it was an HSP. However, I should let you know up front you will more than likely NOT get your money back. Show the copy of the check to both places and see what they do about it. Probably not much will be done by Directv (maybe some credit) but, If it was a legit charge for the Install company and they see that the installer received the money and never turned it into his company, he will be fired and probably be charged with theft.

Lastly, let me say on behalf of good installers every where, I am sorry that people like this make all of us installers look bad.

13. Wizz

Wizz Cool Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks guys. We're a Military family so we've moved a lot over the past handfull of years and I've had some great installers, so I don't judge the rest by him...and I tip the good ones that know their stuff and are curteous. But after this being our third 'Mover's Connection' install this is the first time we were charged for one. But this guy was just rude and abrupt so I didn't want to push/ask anything, even my wife said he was rude and the guy was already complaining about his next install he had to do...I'm very cordial to them as I appreciate what they do, I even tell them not to worry about 'details' as I usually have a few hundred feet of RG6 and fittings on hand myself and never mind finishing off the details/custom work of an install myself. Our second receiver was a new one he brought (we had one already, got a second HD rec) and he said he was going to do me a "favor" and "give" me an HDMI cable, which I thought it already came with all HD receivers...he said he normally charges $10 for each HDMI cable. So it looks like he swoops the accesories out of the box and resells them. Even the invoice mentions nothing of a custom install or additional parts/labor charges.

I called Dtv and they are going to send a field supervisor out next Thursday to review the work to see if it fits the definition of a 'custom' install...which I'm sure they'll take one look and say no as all he did was mount the dish at head height on the side of the house, run 30ft of cable to the door, and lay it across the living room floor on the other side of that door. But I'm not looking to fry the guy at all or have him lose his job. If the supervisor says it was justified then fine, I just want to make sure I didn't give $60 away when our family is already paying Dtv almost $80/month for many years now. I'll tell the Supervisor to go easy on him and that I just want what's 'fair.' If Dtv can credit my acct $60 then that would be good, it's still $60 saved and $60 is a lot...esp when you have two little kids.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You seem to have a good approach [now].
    HDMI cables are no longer "in the box", but are to be supplied "as needed".

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    As long as there will be a supervisor coming out, let me toss one other thing at you.

You mention that the first cable he just used one that was already there. You do mention it was RG6, but I know some cable systems have used RG59. I couldn't tell from your post whether this cable was from a previous dish, or if it was from a cable TV installation. If it was cable, aside from the RG59 possibility, they sometimes just split the cable inside the home for different runs.

I would be careful of these types of things - especially with an HD installation. You may inherit any problems there may be with that existing cable and it could affect your signal.

Welcome to DBSTalk :welcome_s

And most important of all - thanks for your military service! It is greatly appreciated! :)

16. Wizz

Wizz Cool Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome, great place...and my wife is the military person and I'll be sure to pass the thanks :)...I just get dragged around the country when Uncle Sam says it's time to move :roundandr

Yea...I actually thought of that b/c on the wire he tapped into we get signal drops on HD programming, that wire is 6 series but it's so weathered (Florida) that I already found a couple tears in the jacket of the wire that I had to wrap w/elec tape...after that the wire is covered by stucko going into the house so no way to fish a new one in its spot. I was just going to replace that run with a new custom run that I prefer doing myself as the attic/crawl space is very tight and only I know where to step and not step up there. But the wire he tapped into is in very poor shape and I believe it's the cause of the signal drops on HD as the other receiver with the new run has no drops at all.

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    ARGH!!!

I knew that was going to happen! I had started with "Thanks for your family's military service", then went back and looked and saw you mentioned your wife, then went with what I said while all the while in the back of my mind I was thinking "It's probably his wife who is serving". :lol:

Well, God Bless your wife and all your family!

18. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    Stop payment on the check....

19. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Wizz - Are you in on-base housing??

20. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    That will probably cost him 50% of the check's value...