1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Did Mozilla Just Kill Firefox?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, Feb 12, 2014.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    They decided to include preloaded paid Spam by default. I haven't seen if there's a way to kill it or opt-out.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is a free extension that I use called "No Script".
    It will selectively let you block almost everything, even parts of the pages you want to see.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Describe this better - I'm not seeing in with the current version.

4. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
  5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Trying to transition to the IOS advertising plan . . .

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Here is how to disable it

Goto about:config

Set the following

browser.newtab.url;about:blank

browser.newtabpage.enabled;false

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The critical paragraphs in the first link of the OP are at the end (emphasis added):

What I hate is the misleading information. The most accurate headline about intent is Mozilla's Firefox Seeks To Generate Revenue Away From Google Deal By Incorporating Ads In Browser which reflects a problem that I believe derives from ideological changes at Google.

At one time Google helped along with many others to support the non-profit Mozilla open source operation. But that seems to have shifted away taking with it some technology (albeit licensed where necessary).

I'm also getting a little more than skeptical about Eric Schmidt whose orientation seems to have become as much or more about politics as technology.

Mozilla has to find a way to survive without depending on the likes of a Google or a Microsoft. But I think Wikipedia has demonstrated that it's difficult to survive depending on a broad base of fickle supporters.

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just saw this at the bottom of a screen today:

"Firefox automatically sends some data to Mozilla to enrich your experience"

A week ago, when I was reinstalling Firefox, I thiink I had the option of declining somethig called Haiku, but when I reinstalled Firefox in another computer yesterday, it didn't give me the option of declining it and instead simpliy noitified me I had "given" it to me.