1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Did the monthly DVR service increase for everyone?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I just got my new statement tonight, and noticed an increase of $2 for my XTRA package, and a $2 increase in my "Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly" fee. Is this an across the board increase or??

Last month my DVR service was $8

We just upgraded to the HR34, but didn't do the whole home, or any of that bs, so I was told it would stay the same, but it looks like a general increase.

2. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Yes, it increased for everyone.

3. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Technically speaking, not everyone's rates went up.

5. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    What situation, other than Plus DVR/HD DVR did a persons rates not go up? If you had them seperated (DVR, HD and Whole Home), you were paying 21/18, now it goes to 23/20. If you were paying the 20$ Advanced Reciever fee, it goes to 23$. It brings in line the costs for all 3 services whether they are paid for seperately, or you have the advanced reciever charge, with both now paying 23$.

6. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm just about "Serviced"-out

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One example would be someone on the Entertainment package without a DVR.

Someone with price protection wouldn't see it now, but of course will catch up later.

8. ke3ju

ke3ju Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Stroudsburg,...
    I was wondering that...they shouldn't if you're still under contract, right?

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Depending on what the deal was when a new subscriber joined, they may be temporarily excluded. I'm currently under contract, and my rate went up, but I didn't have a new customer price guarantee.

10. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Once in a while I call CSR to threaten to cancel saying that I'm switching to Dish to get the new Hopper, and when I mention that they get into a panic mode and give bill credits even DVR fees or HD, since they know everyone is getting the price increase this year and don't want to risk losing customers, especially long time or good payment history customers.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Contract does not mean fixed rate, it just depends on the deal that each user may have gotten when they signed up.

12. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Um, I wasn't talking all services? The thread was specifically about the DVR fee. Everyone who has DVR service, saw their DVR service price go up?

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's covered under my second comment. Not everyone with DVR service saw it go up, they will go up later, but not now.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    How so? I had PLUS DVR with NO HD and my DVR fee is going up $2 to $10 a month. In addtion, PLUS DVR is no longer but has been converted to Choice Extra Classic with the DVR fee separated as "advanced receiver-DVR".

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You aren't a newer customer who had a price guarantee. The point was made that everyone's price went up, and that is not the case with all DVR customers, unless I'm wrong that there had been a promotion with a price lock.

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think what they are trying to say is yes, most people will see the DVR fee increase. However some new customers who signed up recently with one of the promotions that guarantee a certain price for a certain length of time won't see the increase until after that promotion runs out. Also I believe the people with the old Premier plan that had free DVR service as part of it will not see this increase, only an increase in their package price (there are very few of those people left though I think).

17. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    You are spot on....and I am happy to be one of them. :)