1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Vin just say what I thought he did?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by wilbur_the_goose, Jul 25, 2010.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm sitting here watching the Mets/Dodgers game on the LA feed. Vin Scully (my favorite announcer of all time) is talking about the Mets' Carlos Beltran. Says the following, "Carlos is a switch hitter.... And a switch swinger when he's not playing."

My wife and I looked at each other and said, "What!!!!", rewound it and sure enough - "switch swinger". What do you think Vin meant? I know what I thought, but I wanted to get somebody else's opinion.

(Keep in mind, this is a "G" rated site)

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Golfing?

3. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm a golf addict, and I've never heard that term used to describe anything related to golf.

4. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Here's a Scully quote from last April that I found:

Andres Torres is a switch-hitter, but he's 0-for-10, so as of right now he's a switch-swinger.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I remember a few decades ago when a young player caused an uproar when he said he had pitched poorly because he was "gassed", which to him meant tired, but the interviewer was certain he was saying he was drunk.

6. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    Heck - I have an idol thing with Vin, and I really don't think he meant anything -- but I didn't know what the term meant in that context.

7. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Did you read my other quote of his?

I don't know his exact words when you heard him, but according to the other quote, a switch hitter is someone that HITS the ball and a switch swinger is someone that MISSES.

8. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    Fair enough, but why would Vin have added the comment "he's a switch-swinger when he's not playing"?

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    As a guy who grew up listening to Scully on my bedside radio as I fell asleep, even he is allowed a piece of vocal garbage. I wouldn't look any further than that.

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Maybe he meant "when he's not playing well"

11. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    As opposed to "hitting" the ball, he is "swinging" at the ball w/o contact when he is not playing (well).

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I like this explanation - the missing well.

Vinny had to cough when he got to the well. He hit the cough button at same moment. The well disappeared into the ether, or so he thought.

Scully didn't count on geeks who obsess over such trivial details more than a bunch of Trekkies! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    The title had me thinking this thread was about Vin Scelsa, DJ on Sirius/XM Loft and Dish 6029.