1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Did 'Wheel of Fortune' cheat contestant?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by fluffybear, Dec 21, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Fox News:

[YOUTUBE]EpClUuumYy8[/YOUTUBE]

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wheel of Fortune has always required exact pronunciations. This isn't new, and has happened before.

So I guess my answer is "no".

3. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    IS funny how she really enunciated every letter than screwed it up at the end.

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    While I have never seen this happen on the show myself, I can see how the judges would have a problem with this as she clearly dropped the 'G'.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I know a lot of people , including myself, that say swimmin.

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Just because lots of people say it incorrectly, doesn't make it right. It's a game show centered on words, and proper pronunciation is paramount.

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

And that's not the lyric, nor how it's sung ...

On the 7th day of Christmas,
    my true love sent to me
    7 swans a-swimming,

Also, there would one less space for a letter in the puzzle board if that were the answer they wanted.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Exactly.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would have an easier time supporting the decision if the G was not visible on the board. But the rules of the game seem clear and contestants should know to follow the rules to win.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Time for me to pop in and say... this is a good example of what happens when it becomes taboo to correct people for being incorrect.

Had someone somewhere in that first person's past been "allowed" to correct without being chastised for being "grammar police"... maybe that person could have won some money :)

11. chick3112215

chick3112215 AllStar

Jul 20, 2010
    we have a guy with a fair trailer that says "sausage Sangwich" on the side of it, my boss at work offers to take us out to lunch for a sammich, as soon as I figure out what that is I might stop at the trailer or go out to lunch... They just don't teach english anymore, and 4 years ago we had a V.P. candidate who dropped every "G" in every word that should have had one. ohwell, rant over. My son has a key cell phone and if he ever texted me C U L8R I would shove that phone where the sun does not shine.
    Oh and Stewart +10000000

12. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    So if you have a speech defect, don't even try out for the show.

I hate Wheel of Fortune.

Get Hollywood Squares back.

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    People from Dracut, Massachusetts say, "Youse guys". I wonder if that would be a wrong answer if the letters spelled out Y-O-U G-U-Y-S.

I was watching Concentration once when the correct answer to a puzzle was "Archimedes Principle" and when a contestant with really poor enunciation said. "A committee's principle", the host declared that she had correctly solved the puzzle, but by the time they came back from the commercial break, they were concerned that a mistake had been made and had her repeat her answer three or four times before finally ruling that she had not answered correctly and continued the game from there. I would have thought that, with a taped show, they could have just edited that round out and replaced it with another round.

Dumbest answer ever: ST_R_F__M _ _ _. Why waste money on a vowel.? Anyone can see the answer is STYROFOAM HAT!

Trivia question, to be answered without Googling or IMDBing. Who hosted the pilot episode of Wheel of Forutne?

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And a paraplegic shouldn't try out for Wipeout.

15. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    +1. I miss Hollywood Squares :(

16. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've seen this several times where people drop an "s" at the end

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    As a series link my wife enjoys....early last night we happened to go through 3-4 episodes from Wheel of Fortune.

Despite not reading about this "incident" in advance - both of us immediately noticed that the contestant "screwed up" by not pronouncing the "G" at the end of the word swimming.

Since there was a missing letter (G) at the end of the puzzle, and all punctuation such as an apostrophe are shown up front...there was no excuse for getting the word wrong. All participants are told the rules prior to the show - pronounce words clearly.

After later seeing this thread, we went back and watched that portion of the show 3 more time and agreed - yeah - she simply blew it.

Ironically, there were other contestants on the show this past week who made similar errors in stating puzzle solutions that were incorrect by 1-2 letters. While "nerves" could be a factor - the contestants were clearly wrong in all cases that we observed.

18. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I don't think I've watch this show in something like 15 years, but I'm pretty sure I remember some similar incidents back then.

19. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I don't know if he was the first, but didn't Chuck Woolery host it at one time?

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes...he did.