1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you drop HBO after Sopranos?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cavihitts, Jun 26, 2007.

1. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    I often hear about people only subscribing to HBO during the Sopranos season. Now that Sopranos is done, has anyone here dropped HBO for good or atleast for the time being? I'm just curious to know how HBO's subscriptions numbers were affected by this. Has anyone seen any articles? I guess HBO is countering with the addition of the HD channels.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That therory has been out there for a long time... and does have some merit to it.

DirecTV changed their premium channel policies a while ago, to account for those people that would just get HBO on Sundays for the Sopranos, and then turn it off... thus getting the day's worth prorated for about $0.40

I do think there will be a subscription increase with the new HD networks.... I know by at least 1 (me), at least for a little while.

3. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    Yeah D* has a premium service disconnect fee of $10 if you to keep a movie package for 30 days. You can swap them though. BTW Earl, your post on Harry Potter's ending is what made me think of this.

4. rogerpl

rogerpl AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    First of all I LIKED the ending of The Sopranos. I like several shows on HBO and they program them around the calendar year making it hard to cancel HBO. I would think thats the way a lot of people are "forced" to approach their subscription to HBO.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have the premier package so no. Plus Entourage season is still going.

6. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    Yeah I've kind of gotten into Entourage as well.

7. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If you just started watching it you should get the season's and watch it from the beginning. I think it is a great show.

8. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    Yeah I got into at the beginning of last season or the year before. Can't exactly remember. But I will go back to the beginning.

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    No way. Never watched them (well, I tried one episode.) I catch the PG-13 version occasionally when my wife watches it on A&E and still wonder how such unappealling characters could have such appeal for everybody but me.

HBO is for movies.

10. placeman

placeman Cool Member

Jun 7, 2004
    On the HBO topic, has anyone been roped into John from Cincinnati? Strange show, but I'm hooked.

11. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I dropped HBO after the Sopranos, but that was after the first part of the final Season. I'll wait for the box set of the 2nd part to come out.

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wonder how HBO, Showtime, and the others are going to do once VOD comes online.

What do you guys think?

13. liverpool

liverpool Legend

Jan 29, 2007
    My wife loves big love and with curb your enthusiasm starting soon there is still enough to warrant the charge.

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    If this Soprano is canceled, then I might think about dropping HBO!
    [​IMG]

15. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    My wife enjoys watching Big Love (not sure why...) so even though I was ready to drop HBO after the Soprano's, she is not.

pf

16. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    I have been an HBO watcher since 1991 And have no reason to cancel

I have a package on cable i get hbo/sho/starz for $93 a month not bad for 3 channels :) so there is allways something on to watch

17. DocBM

DocBM Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I'm hooked. It is truly a strange show, yet I find myself getting anxious every Sunday around dinner time.

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I didn't. I've had all four premium movie packages since I first got sat back in 2000.
    Now I'm on cable with even more movie channels -- I want them all! :D

I don't understand why anyone would cancel HBO just because the Sopranos went
    off the air. On the other hand, I never understood why people would want to watch
    the program in the first place. :shrug:

19. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Nope. Still have HBO (along with all the other movie channels) and have no intention of canceling. Only subscribed for The Soprano's but there's a lot of good programming on there and I don’t think I could make it without HBO Comedy. The Soprano’s and Six Feet Under were the only two HBO original series I followed and I’ll be waiting for the next big one.

I still can't believe The Soprano’s are gone, and I still can't believe the ending, or lack thereof.

20. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Never watched the Soprano's, but I did cut HBO off after they canceled Deadwood. If they make the movies like they said I will pick it back up. Or when the 11 HD channels go online that could make me jump back on.