1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Did you know Verizon FiOS has NFL Sunday Ticket

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Greg Bimson, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    I put this post here only because it affects DirecTV more.

Of course, the reason the subject line is written that way is because of the phone call I just received from the telemarketing group within Verizon.

I have their FiOS Internet service, and was asked why I don't have FiOS TV. I said that I am very happy with my DirecTV service and would contemplate switching if there are problems with my DirecTV service. Asked for the important reasons I stay with DirecTV, I said consitency (because I've been a customer for almost 10 years and I am happy), my DVR recevers (three DTiVo's) and Sunday Ticket.

The CSR keyed on Sunday Ticket, and stated that FiOS now has access to Sunday Ticket. I said the Sunday Ticket contract with DirecTV expires in 2011, to which he stated that, "I believe we've licensed the Sunday Ticket so it is available now."

Wow. Bald-faced lying.

2. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Wow. Think they are desperate to make that sale at all?

3. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    That is funny yet sad....I remember a few months back when I was talking to a Cox Customer Rep (due to my parents still having Cox and were having problems) and we got to talking about me personally and I said I was a D* person and she tried coaxing me into going back to Cox and I mentioned Sunday Ticket/EI, locals in HD, etc....she said Cox had all of those which of course they don't....:lol:

4. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    I bet he was thinking of the NFL network... which is a selling point versus the cable companies.... but still, it's not ST.

5. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Here are some of the results as of today form another forum, www.videohelp.com. Hopefully this is OK? If not Please edit.

What kind of sports fan are you?
    24/7 obsessed sports nut - 7%

not a sports fan at all - waste of time - 39%

And that doesn't even break it down into types of sports.....

Could explain why ST is so expensive and still costs them money.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    An occasional link to other forums is ok, if such link is very pertinent to the topic at hand (and doesn't require registration or fees to view.) The full link to that particular topic: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic343087.html

Happy New Year!
    Tom

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Kinda how like Charter tried telling me a couple years ago that they would have Sunday Ticket "next year". I laughed at them.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is just sad :nono2:

9. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Kinda like how TWC - Northeast Ohio's website says that even though subscribers don't get the NFL Network they won't miss out on any of their favorite/biggest games.

10. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    i think the rep was uninformed and was talking about the NFL NETWORK!!!

which is available via Vz broadband and both Vz tv services (FiOS and D*)

11. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Legend

Dec 29, 2007
    NE Atlanta...
    I grew up an hour outside of Boston. So, it shouldn't be that surprising that I am a Patriots fan. Now, considering how many of their games I have watched this season without the need of NFLST it seems like a bad option by any provider.

Maybe I need to be a fan of other teams as well. :)

12. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I've never bought Sunday Ticket. I never have seen the value in it, because we get a good mix of games on my local stations, I generally watch NASCAR until that season is over anyway, and I can go to the local "racino" and watch if I really wanted to for the price of a few beers. However, to each his own.

But this level of cable dishonesty. Its disgusting.

But not unusual.

13. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Old school folks around here may remember Pegasus (DIRECTV reseller, evil, and just plain awful. They sold out their interest to DIRECTV and my family was then free). I couldn't stand them and decided to go cable. Comcast promised me (this had to be 3+ years ago) that they would have Sunday Ticket the very next season. Cable = The Devil.

14. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    I didn't want to get into a heated argument. This CSR/Telemarketer was fairly straightforward in believing that FiOS had Sunday Ticket.

Even if he were mistaken, if I didn't know better, I could have switched if the information mollified my concerns. However, because I am a happy DirecTV customer, I am not going anywhere. But if I were to go anywhere, it would be based upon the programming first and the pricing second. And if Verizon actually had Sunday Ticket, I'd be more inclined to switch to them.

If Verizon FiOS had Sunday Ticket, that is.

And an uninformed potential customer may acutally believe that.

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Even better was when Dish was trying to buy DirecTV. I got calls from scummy Dish reps every week saying that they would come to my house and "swap" all my receivers since it would need to be done anyway once the merger was complete and I might as well do it now. Of course I knew better that all they would be doing is canceling my DirecTV and signing me up for Dish but some people would fall for it.

16. Draconis

Draconis DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think that you hit the nail on the head. They would not be the only TV provider who tried to market the NFL network as the Sunday Ticket.

17. kstefanec

kstefanec AllStar

May 13, 2007
    There are two reasons to have the Sunday Ticket. The first one is if you live in a different state than your favorite team. The second would be if you like to make friendly wagers on teams other than your favorite team.

I have the Sunday Ticket. My team is the Packers. I live in Wisconsin. So I guess my reason is the friendly wagers. Friendly I said. We only bet for bottles of Coca-cola. Money would be illegal so I will have no part of that. :sure::D

18. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Yep.

Is there a more anti-consumer industry?

19. Sat4me

Sat4me Legend

May 13, 2006
    I guess they all lie to get business. I recently received a phone call from a Directv CSR who assured me that Directv had expanded their spotbeam in the Raleigh/Durham DMA so that all customers could get the locals in HD. This is nothing short of a lie and I told him so. He promised he would check further and call me back. Of course, I never received that call.

20. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.