1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between buying from e* or a Dish dealer ?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by ken310, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken310

ken310 Legend

Feb 24, 2006
    What's the difference between buying from e* or my local authorized Dish dealer?
    I'm told if I had bought my 942 from e* things would be different, Why ?

2x 510's
    2x 4700's
    3x 3700's
    etc, etc, etc
    5th dish 3/8/06
    Sony 34" XBR
    Dish© 9+yrs

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know why or even if it would be any different...

But the difference is the same as buying at Target instead of direct from the manufacturer.

An authorized reseller is authorized to resell... this does not make them the original manufacturer. Sometimes buying direct has advantages, sometimes it costs more to buy direct.

I remember when Creative Labs (make sound cards for computers, among other things) talked me out of buying direct from them one time many years ago! They talked me into buying at a retail store.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    IIRC E* has some policies that protect their retailers. If you buy through a retailer they get credit for the sale. Any changes made to the sale that could affect the credit they get should run through the retailer.

Deals done direct only affect E* ... changes after the fact don't affect some dealer's credit for the sale.

4. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Some of the DISH upgrade deals are only available through DISH or from the retailer you initially used when you signed up for DISH. That original retailer may continue to get a residual from DISH as long as you remain subscribed with his equipment. Another retailer might be able to actually supply the receiver and do the work, but they don't because they won't get reimbursed by DISH since they aren't the original retailer. I wouldn't think the dealer for the 942 would be your original dealer (3700/4700 dealer more likely) but I'd be willing to bet that the $99 622 after $200 rebate is only available through DISH or the retailer you bought the 942 from. There are exceptions if the retailer you bought from is no longer in business. Just possibilities.

5. ken310

ken310 Legend

Feb 24, 2006
    I signed up by phone and had never even been in my local (35 miles away) dealer until e* told me to check with them for a 942. It was $100 less at $602 + tax, $644.14 on 11/25/05. Since then I've got to know the owner, but all I did was buy it from him I upgraded my programing on the phone with e*. After he paid his tech to update the software and ? he actually lost money selling it to me.

2x 510's
    2x 4700's
    3x 3700's
    etc, etc, etc
    5th dish 3/8/06
    Sony 34" XBR
    Sony STR-DE898+
    Dish© 9+yrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.