1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Different Commercials?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by -Draino-, Jun 12, 2013.

1. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Really weird and maybe I'm just seeing things, but I could swear that I saw two different commercials on my HR24-500 and my HR34-700 while watching CNN. I can see both from one room and I swear while watching CNN (202) one box had a different commercial.....maybe thats not possible....dunno

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, quite possible. Was at least one of them for a local concern? Local ads can be inserted, and it seems they are already downloaded and reside on the HDD. One box did it, and the other didn't, or it inserted a different ad.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Thanx!

That's why I come here, didn't know that, and it definitely could have led to a 'Twilight Zone' moment someday, and I have enough of those as it is.

:eek2:

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Heh. It's only when the ad addresses you personally do you have to worry...... :hurah:

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Not just locals, but regionals and nationals as well.

One of the great drawbacks of the broadcasting model is that it is difficult to target different demos with different commercials. But there is a lot of recent tech in cable/sat/OTA that is making it easier, so it is beginning to proliferate.

As a broadcaster, I have considered this a lot, and it would not surprise me to see different commercials going to OTA customers than to cable and sat customers. And one of the reasons it would not surprise me (and I am talking about that tech being driven by the station itself) is because it is already happening in most Cox and Comcast larger markets, for commercials for those cable companies (the station sends a different Cox cable commercial to OTA viewers than it does to actual Cox cable subscribers).

This allows them to target their current cable TV customers with adds about bundling in phone and internet, while targeting non-subscribers with commercials urging them to subscribe. After all, sending those commercials to folks who are already subscribed doesn't really buy them much.

I would also not be surprised to see the content itself begin to diverge, with different content going OTA than to cable and sat subs. This may even be driven to us faster than we expected due to FOX and CBS and ABC's reaction to the Aereo ruling.

Back to your question, I would suspect that if both DVRs had the commercial downloaded and had the capability to play it back, that both would have done just that, which means this may be a rare instance where both did not have this capability at that particular time, which implies that a great deal of commercials may already be reaching us by this sort of technology via DBS and cable, and we have no real way of knowing because other than a spot occasionally missing on one DVR or the other and someone watching both at the same time, we would never know.

6. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Like in "The Game" where the newscaster talks directly to Michael Douglas??? That was great!!! I'm sure DirecTV is workiing on it.

7. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Well I did saw a mavtv June 10th commercial on a old recording I have from early this year which I don't remember seeing that at the time. Unless it was local inserted ad.