1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Different locations?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by -, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Just a technical question....suppose I signed up to have 4 receivers in my home...from Dish network, at a cost of about $50/ month.

Now just suppose that I only desire 3 of these receivers...but my friend who lives across town would like to have one of the receivers in his home.

If we set up a dish at his house, hooked it up to *MY* receiver....it would work, yes?

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Yes, that would work but it's technically illegal and I highly advise against it.

3. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    How would they find out?

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    If you plug a phone line in or someone reports you

5. Guest

I don't see how it would be illegal. If someone's paying for programming I don't see what's wrong with them placing the receivers wherever they want.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    It's illegal because in essence the amount of money that you are "paying" for your friend's service is limited to the additional receiver fee. In other words, he is getting the same level of programming that you get, but he is only paying $4.99 per month for that service, while you are paying the full $50 a month. That is considered theft. For him to have the same level of service, he would also have to fork up the $40 or $50 himself to Dish.

7. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It would be a simple case of fraud. It's stated in the residential agreement no one reads but it's bound by.

Residential Service Agreement
    Part one paragraph F
    Bold letters were added by me.

See ya
    Tony

8. Guest

I was pretty sure Charlie once said it was OK to take a receiver with you on vacation or to a second part-time residence. Although the agreement clearly says they can take action against you for this, in practice they probably won't say anything. Giving an activated receiver to a friend or relative is what they call "stacking" and is a big violation of the user agreement.

9. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I recall Charlie talking about taking the 501 filled up with recorded programming to your vacation house, hooking it up, and being able to watch the recorded programs without having to connect to a dish.

10. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    I currently live in the New York City DMA and I recieve the New York locals through Dish. If I were to take my reciever to upstate NY, out of the New York City DMA, would I still recieve the New York locals?

11. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    At this point, you could take the receiver all the way to California and you would still receive the New York locals. When we go on vacation, we will take one of our receivers with us. It's really cool getting a crystal clear picture from your local stations when you are thousands of miles away.

12. psecic

psecic AllStar

Apr 5, 2002
    Thats stealing.

13. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    What are you referring to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.