1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differnce between SL-3 and SL3-SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by onebadharley09, Aug 16, 2010.

1. onebadharley09

onebadharley09 New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I have a SL-3-SWM installed (by Direct TV). I installed a slimline dish in my out building and took one of my recievers out of the house in connected it to the dish. The new slimline dish I installed has a different LNB on it. it is a SL3 Slimline four Ka/Ku. When I hook the reciever up it goes through the installation and changes to the SL3. But when going though the channels I only get a few of the channels. I do not get the locals. Is there a difference in the two LNBS or am I doing something wrong?
    Dale

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Hmmmm.... as long as the guided setup is done it should be ok. However, I should note that the SWM setup can be used with splitters while the SL3 (non-SWM) should not be used with splitters. If you're splitting the lines, or if you have more than four tuners total with an SL3 (non-SWM) then you're going to have problems. Also, the SL3 (non-SWM) should not be used with a power inserter.

and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

3. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    You don't say what the receiver model number is but it is obviously not an H23 or HR23 as all the other H' models need a B-band converter when connected to a 'standard' dish such as the one you installed on the out building.

Yes, there is a major difference in the way things work when using a SL3-SWM and a 'conventional' SL3 (non-SWM). Receivers can be swapped back and forth between the two antenna/LNB types, but a B-band converter is required between receiver and antenna when using the non-SWM LNB (unless the receiver is H23 or HR23) if you want access to all the channels.

To keep things simple, I would recommend swapping the 'conventional' LNB on the out-building antenna for a SWM version.