1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Digital Media Set to Overtake TV Viewing

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Digital Media Set to Overtake TV Viewing

Mobile helps propel digital time spent

Average time spent with digital media per day will surpass TV viewing time for the first time this year, according to eMarketer’s latest estimate of media consumption among US adults.

The average adult will spend over 5 hours per day online, on nonvoice mobile activities or with other digital media this year, eMarketer estimates, compared to 4 hours and 31 minutes watching television. Daily TV time will actually be down slightly this year, while digital media consumption will be up 15.8%.

The most significant growth area is on mobile. Adults will spend an average of 2 hours and 21 minutes per day on nonvoice mobile activities, including mobile internet usage on phones and tablets—longer than they will spend online on desktop and laptop computers, and nearly an hour more than they spent on mobile last year.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    For me only when I am on a trip for business, at home I would much rather watch a full size screen.

1 person likes this.
  3. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I wonder how much of this "mobile" stuff is "legal" viewing?
    Heck, if you could put a big-screen TV on the dashboard of your car, and watch regular OTA TV while driving, like people watch their phones (in their laps, or down by the console), TV might be showing better numbers, too.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    TV numbers are remarkably stable.

Me, I wonder what "other" includes.... And it's rare that I don't have my laptop open when watching the tube. Oh, wait, it's not a tube, and there are no tubes inside! When watching the flat I am usually online.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Same here buddy.....I DO NOT LIKE ALL THIS LETTERBOX GARBAGE!!!!!!!! -- I also do not like digital media!!!!

IT LOOKS/SOUNDS LIKE CRAP COMPARED TO ANALOG and I have not been watching much DirecTV lately due to the fact I dont like how it looks or sounds!!

I LOVE analog media and I think its sad they are going out of thier way to destroy it all!! (Most likely a major agenda behind it all and its sad)

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I feel your angst, but there's no need to shout. Digital technology has over taken analog tech, at least in still photography, for all but the very extremes of exposure. Same is true for audio and video, though some prefer the look, feel and rarity of hi-end audio and video.