1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Diplexer help

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by hahler2, Oct 15, 2010.

1. hahler2

hahler2 AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    I currently have 2 coax cables going to my satellite receiver. One obviously carries the Sat signal and the other my OTA. I would like to free up one coax for using ethernet over coax. However, if I use a diplexer and combine the signals I lose some stations that I get running the ota on a separate coax. I am using an amplifier right before the ota signal runs into the diplexer.

My question is would I get better signal if I put a second amplifier after the diplexer at the receiver and/or put a pre amp at the antenna?

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    If I understand correctly, Ethernet over Coax can't coexist with OTA.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You would be better off with a preamp at the antenna before it goes into the combining diplexer. But the problem there is how do you power the pre-amp ?
    I've seen diplexers at Ace Hardware that "output power" to both the satellite LNB and the OTA - I don't know if that feature actually works for powering a preamp. Most receiver LNB inputs put out too much voltage (18-20VDC) to power a preamp(5-9VDC).

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm pretty sure hahler2 is trying to diplex the sat and OTA signals together, so he can use the other coax for Ethernet.

What kind of amp are you using? Model? How long is the cable run from the OTA antenna to the amp? What kind of signal strengths are you seeing?

RF is a strange beast, and what works in one location may not always work at another, so there's a bit of art to it.

5. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Save your self more problems, run new cable

6. hahler2

hahler2 AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    The amplifier that i currently am using is the wineguard amp that came with the antenna. All it says on it is that it outputs 18 v dc at 5.4 w. So I guess I'm not sure about it.

Running another cable is just really not an option. I would have to take out a lot of sheet rock in order to do it.

Cable run from the Antenna to the amp is about 50 feet. Than another 30 or so from diplexer to receiver. When i run the cable separately signal strength is very good. 70 or better.