1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Diplexer which supports 750 mA?

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Eemrek, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Eemrek

Eemrek New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    I would like to run OTA and DISH Network stuff down one run of RG-6, however all the diplexers I've seen only seem to be rated for 500 mA. I know DishPro technology uses +19.6V @ 750 mA. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I've never heard the 750ma number before, but have never had a problem using "standard" diplexers - unless a power inserter is involved.

Power inserters are used for the SW64 & DPP44 switches, and for OTA pre-amps.

If a switch is involved, it can get a touch sticky, but E* has a high-current diplexer designed for use with the DPP44, and they should work with the old SW64, too.

If you're runing DishPro, OTA pre-amps can SOMETIMES work with just the power provided by the receiver or a switch power inserter. A diplexer that passes power on both legs is used for that case. Make sure the pre-amp is rated for the 18-20VDC used by E* boxes. I limit this solution to DP because Legacy gear is voltage switched, and the pre-amp might not like that.

Trying to use the OTA pre-amp's power supply on the same cable as the satellite signal can get REAL sticky. Hopefully the pre-amp likes 18-20VDC, and it's power inserter passes RF up to at least 2150MHz. If the voltage is OK, but the inserter is not, an E* power inserter might be the answer.

3. bigrick

bigrick Registered User

Oct 21, 2003
    Yeah, the product you need is called a DishPro splitter(it's basically a diplexor). I see there are a couple in the for sale section for $2

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    WRONG!

Splitters, diplexers, and separators are all DIFFERENT devices that perform DIFFERENT functions.

5. bigrick

bigrick Registered User

Oct 21, 2003
    The dishpro splitter, commanly used to split the signal from a DP single to 2 receivers is what I have used with success, even though Simon disagrees.

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I stand by my statement. Diplexers have bandpass filters and DC blocking so that the correct signals go to the correct ports. Otherwise, harmonics from the UHF band and cause trouble on the satellite tuner, 2GHz signals from the satellite side can confuse the UHF, and the 18-20VDC on the sat side can fry some UHF gear.

Do it right, or don't do it at all. :(

7. bigrick

bigrick Registered User

Oct 21, 2003
    So, to do this correct, Simon, you could use the DP splitters(as it's rated for DP's 750mA) and add bandpass filters on the sat sides(power pass) to make the harmonics work. Do you think this is technically correct?

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yes - although you'd need filters on both sides.

And there's NO sense in it - a high-current diplexer costs less than a DP Splitter.

9. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    I've been using Eagle Aspen Diplexers on my system which is Dish Pro for over a year with no problems...

I think I got them for about $2 a piece on ebay...