1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diplexers and coax problem

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Dooger54, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooger54

Dooger54 Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I want to combine my OTA signal and Dish Network signal on one RG6 cable going to various TV's. I know a diplexer will work but have the following problem. The Tv's only have one coax input. If I split the signals back out at the TV using a diplexer, then I can only plug one of the coax cables into the TV. How do I input the other??

2. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    First, a single cable from the dish cannot be split to go to various TV's. Second, the Sat output on the diplexer needs to go to the receiver sat intpu and the Antenna output on the diplexer needs to either go to the antenna input on the sat receiver or to your TV digital tuner (if it has one).

3. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    A diplexer combines the "TV range" signals below 950Mhz with the satellite LNB signals above 950 MHz onto a single cable. If you aren't trying to do that, but just want to combine the RF output from your Dish receiver with an antenna signal to go to all the other TVs, you use a coax splitter, turned the other way around. An OTA antenna into one "output" of a splitter and the other splitter "output" connected the receiver's RF output gives you the combined signal on the spllitter "input" to be sent to the other TVs. You might immediate connect that splitter input to the input of another splitter to send in multiple directions. If your receiver has an agile modulator where you select the UHF channel from a menu, the splitter should work fine. If your receiver only has Channel 3/4 output available, you would have better luck using a Channel 3 combiner (or 4, depending on which ISN'T used locally) instead of a splitter.

4. Dooger54

Dooger54 Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Ok, let me be more specific. I will be going from a DN 622 receiver using the Agile modulator. This will give me both TV1 and TV2 outputs going to TV's in other areas of the house. I will use RG6 coax to send that modulated output back to my distribution closet, and then from there send it to the other Tvs (6). I will probably need to amplify those signals.

My question is will the one RG6 cable carry the TV1 and TV2 outputs along with the OTA signal? I have a rooftop HDTV antenna that I want to be able to send to all my TV's also. When I input the coax cable in the distant Tv's, will that signal be modulated on different channels? Or do I physically have to split the input at the TV?

5. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Question. Would this work combining two RF outputs (one on ch3 the other on ch4)? I have an old C-Band dish that I still use for sports wild feeds. Could I set it to ch 3, and my dish receiver to ch 4 and send that combined signal to the tv - using the tv tuner to switch between the two? I suspect an a/b switch would work better, but I'd like to simplify the cabling.

6. Nightlife1970

Nightlife1970 Legend

Aug 10, 2005
    Iowastatefan,

Thoes two channels are to close together. They would interfer with each other.

Dodger54,

Take the two outputs from the 622 and set them on two channels that are not in your area. Something like 21 and 29 as an example. Send the two outputs and the OTA antenna into a three-way combiner/splitter. Take the 1 line out of that combiner/splitter into your amplifier, then send that into your home distribution panel.

Then each tv gets 1 voax input. You just tune to the channel you wish to watch.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have a channel inserter for channel 4 which notches out channel 4 from one input and notches in channel 4 from another input - IIRC it was $10-$15. I bought two and have one for channel three in another room (bypassing a DVD/VCR).

8. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    James thanks, but I don't understand what a channel inserter is or where to get one. I googled it, but didn't get any results that matched what you describe. Would you please try to explain it again? I guess I have a pretty simple mind :grin: Thanks.

9. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Both TV1 and TV2 outputs are available on the 622's RF out connection so you'd only need a two way splitter (backwards) to combine the 622 outputs with the antenna to head to the distribution closet (or an amp if needed, but the 622 output should be beefy). Exactly what Nightlife1970 said, but a 3 way would have more loss than a 2 way. Remember that the channels you select need to be unused and with Digital TV "hiding" the UHF channel by showing a translated 9.1 value, you may have interference on OTA channels that don't appear at all on an analog TV. Antennaweb.org should show the station used for the digitals that need to be avoided, and it is still best to pick as low as possible while still avoiding an adjacent UHF station.

10. Dooger54

Dooger54 Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Nightlife1970-

What you said makes a lot of sense. My only change to what you suggest would be to run my OTA coax into the Antenna In on the 622. That way I can get my local channels on the Guide. I think that the locals will also be available on the modulated line coming out. Works?

11. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Google "channel 3 combiner" or "channel 4 combiner" instead. I had a good URL for a description of the band pass, band stop to notch it out but I can't find it. Probably a dead link by now. You can find them uner $10 without much work.

12. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Not exactly, but sort of. TV1 can select an OTA station and the remote TV will see it if they select their "TV1 station". It doesn't pass the OTA signal itself. Take the antenna to a 2 way splitter with 1 output going to the 622's antenna in and the other output going to a second 2 way splitter (an Out). The other Out of that splitter gets the 622's RF output and its Input would go to the distribution amp/closet. That lets each remote TV select any channel from the Antenna or either one of the TV1/TV2 "stations".

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You need a simple splitter used backwards as a "combiner". You need to be careful to choose your agile channels in such a way that they are well clear of any OTA channels. You'll probably also want some sort of distribution amplifier if you're splitting the signal a number of ways.

14. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    IowaStateFan - I'm not sure what receiver you have but since you used singular for TV, I thought I'd mention that many of the DISH receivers that output on Channel 3/4 have a built in A/B switch. If you take the C-band RF to a 508's RF in and its RF out goes to TV(s), the Sat mode Tv/Video button does an A/B switch between the 508 output and an RF passthrough of the C-band output. If all the TVs need to pick themselves, you'd want to use the channel combiner(s). The A/B of Tv/Video requires nothing special. There may be DISH receivers that don't do the passthrough.

15. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks for the help. I have a 921, and c-band analog receiver. I just ordered a FTA MPEG receiver to slave off the c-band receiver. I'm trying to figure out how to best connect it all so I can watch different things in 2 rooms. Right now I'm using the DVI out on my 921 to my hdtv and the sd out to feed a tv in the bedroom. I've connected the c-band to the 921 using composite cables but I get a pretty crappy picture that way. I also plan on upgrading to the 622 at some point (unless I can hold off until they come out with the next generation HD DVR).

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    These are similar to what I have.

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/DLS-209-3.html
    http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/DLS-209-4--SC-4-.html

I have no VHF locals in my community and don't have cable so I don't have to worry about what I'm losing to insert my channels. I have a feed coming off the back of my ViP211 (the TV Out Coax connection) with the modulator set to Channel 3. That coax goes down into the basement where I have it combined (using an obsolete RS signal combiner that joins UHF with VHF) with my outdoor UHF antenna to be run into a small amplifier and back out to all the TVs in the house. Right before the RS signal combiner I have installed the channel 4 version of the Signal Combiner linked above. Coax from ViP211 in plus the coax from a 501 that I have installed in the basement set to Channel 4 in - the output has channel 3 and 4 on the same cable with little or no interference. (And in my house Ch 3 on any TV is the ViP211 and Ch4 on any TV is the 501.)

BTW: This is in no way an endorsement of the product or the store linked.

17. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Thank you very much James. That's what I'm trying to do and you even explained it so that my simple mind could understand.

18. Dooger54

Dooger54 Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006

Will I need to use a diplexer at the splitter/combiner where the Input goes to my distribution panel? I'm confused when a diplexer is needed and when it isn't. Isn't it needed to seperate the OTA signal and Sat signal??

19. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    A diplexer is used when you want to bring a satellite signal in to the receiver and combine it with an RF signal (usually bringing the antenna/cable IN, but it can just as well carry a receiver's RF OUT). You wouldn't really use a diplexer to get the antenna signal to the distribution panel. Now if that is how you get the signal from the satellite dish to the receiver, by going through the distribution panel first, it gets quite a bit harder. Think of a PAIR of diplexers as a way to avoid running a 2nd coax from point A to point B. At the ends of the diplexers, it appears as if you have two cables - one from the sat and one from an antenna.

Maybe if you described how the dish and antenna signal get where they get now, someone will have a suggestion. Combining the receiver output with the antenna is just regular splitter/combiners.

20. Dooger54

Dooger54 Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    CABIll-

What you said makes sense. I will be able to make it work with a combo of splitters/combiners. I think I will also need an amplifier since I am going to split the signals to about 6 TV's, located from between 50 to 200 ft from the utility closet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.