1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecDish? DishDirect?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by SayWhat?, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1 of 11
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://www.thestreet.com/story/11758275/1/dish-networks-earnings-revive-directv-deal-talk.html

2. Nov 8, 2012 #2 of 11
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    DisectTV

3. Nov 8, 2012 #3 of 11
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Will there "ever" be a merger? Maybe. But Wall Street analysts look at money, and there is a lot more to this than money. The last time a merger was discussed, there was a lot more common technology and a lot fewer subscribers. The technical issues with merging the two companies are so great, it is unthinkable that any money could be made in the first 5 years with all the redundancy and then replacing obsolete equipment.

If there is to be a merger at some point in the future, the first step would be a technology-sharing plan where DIRECTV licenses SWM technology and Videoguard to DISH, and DISH agrees not to dispute DIRECTV's (currently unused) patents on ReplayTV commercial-skipping. Also perhaps a content-sharing agreement for international customers.

If you see those things, then look 5 years down the road to a merger. Otherwise, this is just a case of bankers not understanding engineering.

4. Nov 9, 2012 #4 of 11
    mark722

mark722 AllStar

Sep 27, 2007
    Saw this article on MSN Money :
    http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=bfe03406-3fb9-4d8a-a656-f09003ecd7a0
    Very Interesting. Not sure if this would be good for customers though. Lack of competition seems always bad for the consumer. If Dish/DirecTV could offer better bundles than cable / FIOS at a lower price this would be good. But since they are also competing against streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, they would need to add their own improved On Demand streaming service.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #5 of 11
    StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    Federal regulators will never allow for a merger. For millions of subscribers, a merger would create a monopoly, something regulators prevent.

6. Nov 9, 2012 #6 of 11
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, "never say never".

7. Nov 9, 2012 #7 of 11
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    I wont say never.

But i will say incredibly unlikely this will happen in our lifetimes xD

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I never thought that XM Radio and Sirius would ever merge, but that did happen. So who knows if Dish/Direct will.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As discussed in the September thread (when DirecTV's CEO stated a merger could be pro-consumer) ... the only thing that makes these new "merger threads" worth leaving open is that the company's ceos are commenting.

We have had merger rumors and discussions for literally a decade. Call me when something official is filed.

10. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    And look how that merger went! Higher subscriptions fees, promise of a la carte subscriptions that never happened.

And remember there are alternatives to music and news (conventional radio, HD radio, media players, etc.). It is a grey area but the Sirius XM merger isn't a monopoly.

Regardless, a Dish DIrect merger would be a disaster for consumers.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have a Sirius a la carte subscription ... $9.38 per month after tax and music fees. (List price $7.99 for 50 channels - more details.) Just as with any a la carte, the more you buy the more a package plan makes more sense. I picked out 35 music channels (most of them just to get to the 50 total) and 13 talk channels. I could not find 50 channels that I wanted. :)

I did not have Sirius back in the old days pre-merger ... but $10 per month for the few channels I want is not bad. Fortunately with a one provider system a la carte is possible. There is no AMC demanding carriage of We, IFC and Fuel specialty channels to get the more popular channel the have. Or Viacom with their myriad of channels.