1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct and MPEG4

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bowtieman, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowtieman

Bowtieman Legend

Aug 12, 2003
    I live in the LA area and from what I see on this forum. They are going to MPEG4 soon. Should I expect Direct to contact me about changing out my MPEG2 receivers. I'm still using the Tivo with no problems at this time. Works like it has since I first got it couple of years ago. I have the Samsung receiver.

Will I be out of luck when they switch over to MPEG4 if I still have MPEG2 receivers.
    Should I be contacting Direct now or do I have some time left?

Thanks

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    LA Locals as far as I know already are MPEG4 so unless you can get them OTA pretty well and are not a sports fan your equipment will still be good for a year at least. IF you want to get FSN Prime Ticket in HD and/or your locals in HD you need to switch to the new 5LNB dish and MPEG 4 receiver.

3. Bowtieman

Bowtieman Legend

Aug 12, 2003
    I can't receive them ota. Too many big mountains between me and them...
    I am still receiving broadcast by using my 2MPEG Samsung 360 and SD Tivo....Not having any problems of any kind and my four lnb dish. I guess they haven't totaly switched over to MPEG4 yet...

But, I am concerned that all of sudden I might not be able to recieve a signal. Isn't Direct suppose to contact all of it's customers about this big switch over and getting the proper equipment to receive the signal.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This switch that you speak of isn't like the NTSC stations going off the air one day. It will likely happen in two widely spaced stages:

1. Convert most HD content to MPEG4 (except maybe HBO and SHO) This will likely take as long as 9 months.

2. Covert everything else to MPEG4

Step one will begin with the widespread release of the HR20. It could take up to three years, but most are betting it is closer to 12-15 months. Step two, while involving more people, probably won't take much longer due to a substantial number of the SD users upgrading to HD in the interim.

From the lest we not forget department:

Before a lot of tinkering with converting either group to MPEG4 takes place, there needs to be a strong push towards answering the MPEG4 question for Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) subscribers. I'm sure this is in the back of someone's mind for high density markets like Chicago, Philly and Boston that don't have access to MPEG2 HD locals.

Does anyone know the difference between FTM and conventional destackers? I have a sneaking suspicion that FTM may be QAM as opposed to conventional stacking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.