1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct TV and Cable internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lugnut1012, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1 of 10
    lugnut1012

lugnut1012 Cool Member

Jul 22, 2010
    We are moving to a new house that is only 5 years old. I have Direct TV now at my house and I want to move it to the new house. I know that is not a problem. Right now I have DSL service for internet and phone. That is not an option in the new house. DSL speeds are to slow and I have to go with the cable company for internet and phone. Is there a way for the cable internet and the Direct TV to run on the same coax line? I do not want to have coax lines running all up and down the outside of the house. Most of the basement is finished so it will be hard to fish new wire through the house. Should I have the cable person come out first or the Direct TV person? I want to connect my direct tv to the internet also (like I have it now). Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Mar 2, 2012 #2 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This gets into a gray area. If you're using [or want] MRV through the DECA networking, then the two won't run on the same coax.
    What you're asking is to diplex cable internet with SWiM DirecTV, which can work, but the DECA is the part that can't.
    Is there any way to have the cable internet on its own coax to one location, and then your DirecTV on its own?

Maybe it would help to get an idea of what coax you have and where it currently goes.

3. Mar 2, 2012 #3 of 10
    lugnut1012

lugnut1012 Cool Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I definatly want MRV through the DECA network. That is what I have now. I guess the best bet is to have Direct TV come out first and do their work. Then have the cable company come out and put in a new coax line to one location. I guess I could have them run a coax line to the unfinished side of the basement and have the modem and router sitting in there. Everything that we have (laptop, phones) can run off wifi. I guess the question is, how does Direct TV hook into the internet?

4. Mar 2, 2012 #4 of 10
    Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    The current practice for us if you do not have internet installed at the time of a mover's connection is to retrieve your broadband (or wifi) deca and return it to D*. If you don't have one already, we cannot leave one for you to install yourself when your internet gets activated later. The problem is they have to respond to D* within 7-days and I'm not getting penalized because your ISP didn't get you hooked-up within 7 days. I do not know if this is being done by everyone, but we are. Now if you already have one and you hide it from me I can't do anything about that, but I won't install an 8-way instead of a 4-way so you can add it yourself later. Or leave you an extra 2-way, some wire, etc...

5. Mar 2, 2012 #5 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like you should have the internet installed first, then have DirecTV out and they'll run a coax to where your router/modem is and connect a DECA there so it's part of your coax networking.

6. Mar 2, 2012 #6 of 10
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you're worried about aesthetics regarding your house, you might consider using Wire-Mold. Acts something like conduit or EMT, but is flat and, when painted the same color of your house, is hardly noticeable. The Wire-Mold comes in many sizes and I think it comes in metal or plastic.

Rich

7. Mar 2, 2012 #7 of 10
    MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    provided all the lines are home runs, theres a simple solution as long as you dont have a tv in the office or wherever the modem is going.
    Have the cable company out first, they'll take one of the lines for the internet
    DTV out next, they can usse the existing lines and install a wifi deca (there may/may not be a charge) to connect to your internet

-if all your wires aren't home runs and/or you have a tv in the office/room with the modem, then there could be some complications/fun

8. Mar 2, 2012 #8 of 10
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Have the cable guy come first, but tell him the coax is already in use and he can't use it. Have him run the new coax to where you want to put the router.

Then when DirecTV comes, let them use the original coax which will be free.

Just make sure whoever comes second that they don't use the coax set up by the first guy.

9. Mar 2, 2012 #9 of 10
    TDDV

TDDV New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Not sure if you want to put your router in the basement. It could limit your signal in the house.

10. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    Installer here. Ok, have the internet in first. Then if that line is being used by cable modem and it is wireless, the installer could connect you with a wireless DECA. He could also install a second line to your office if you are having a receiver installed there.

Now you said you had a basement so the line going through a crawlspace is not an option. Do you have an attic area that is accessible to the room where the modem is going to? A nice tip could get the tech into the attic and do a wall fish into the room with the new coax. The wall fish in NOT easy, so like I said, a tip works wonders to get the techs attitude to change about going into an attic. The wall fish has to be done on an interior wall. The exterior wall just isn't available to get to from an attic.

If the tech has been installing for awhile he should have the ability to do this wall fish. Warning, don't expect him to wall fish from attic down to basement. That is work beyond the scope of Directv installers and you may need to call an expert in for such a job. It will be expensive I imagine.