1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Direct TV and NBC Olympics

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dstorm, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dstorm

dstorm AllStar

Mar 25, 2008
    So we're basically 2 weeks out from Olympic Coverage starting and I still have yet to see any news on this from Direct TV, other than the VOD service available only to those with the latest and greatest VOD DVR through in-demand.

Will there be an Olympics Mix Channel?

Will those of us without HD or the latest DVR be able to see the Olympic Soccer Channel and Basketball Channel?

For those with HD, what will the offerings be and will it include any coverage not available for those watching SD with older DVRs?

I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of news in regards to this, especially considering the schedules are set, NBC has made all their announcements. etc.

Any insider news or at least time-frame when we can expect to hear anything? The Soccer group play kicks off 2 weeks from today.

Thanks

2. ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv Legend

Feb 11, 2008
    I bet NBC does not let DirecTV do anything

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 22, 2006
    They have a new DOD channel just for NBC Olympics... 1008

4. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    My Verizon Fios service is showing two HD channels
    in my program guide for Olympic Soccer and Basketball.

Fios is in the middle of its big HD rollout. My area has not yet received the new HD channels, but USA HD and CNBC HD were also added to my program guide with the two soccer and basketball HD channels.

So I am also surprised that D* is not doing anything. I suspect that both D* and E* will add the two olympic channels.

5. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Be patient, you may yet be surprised..........

6. Darkscream

Darkscream Legend

Mar 8, 2008
    In a wild guess - I would assume you will see big news on this subject when D11 goes live ( July 30 is my guess ) and then a press release with the expanded interactive coverage like we had for the Winter Olympics ( Mix channels et al).

7. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    If you can get NBC OTA, you should be getting the subchannel that is playing live and tape delayed events all day. I watched water polo and mountain biking the other day.

For those of us in Los Angeles DMA, you can get this channel OTA on 4-4.

8. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Dish has already announced the Basketball HD channel on 98/395 and Soccer HD on 99/396.

9. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
  10. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    The Euro HDTV broadcasters certainly are ready. Just watching Biz China on CCTV9 and the unloading of 58 trailer-truck mobile remote control centers for HDTV telecasts for the Olympics was one of the features on this afternoon's program.

They're driving up to Beijing, tomorrow.

11. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    That's Universal Sports (formerly WCSN -- see http://www.wcsn.com/); and is only available in a handful of markets as of yet.

KNBC is streaming it on the net during "off hours" on their News Raw subchannel (KNBC-DT4) -- http://www.knbc.com/newsraw/index.html

12. dogs31

dogs31 Godfather

Feb 27, 2006
    It has been announced that they will be on channels 750-756. I saw the ad on GSN.