1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Direct tv DVR esata external drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cyclamate2001, Apr 9, 2009.

1. cyclamate2001

cyclamate2001 New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    i just hooked up a western digital 2 TB drive with the esata port, and the DVR is "running receiver self check..." for almost an hour now

did i blow this setup?

1) I took the 2 TB drive out of the box and made sure the power was off
    2) I powered off the DVR and unpugged it
    3) I hooked up the esata cable between the dvr and the external drive
    4) I turned on the external drive
    5) I waited a minute
    6) I plugged in and turned on the DVR

It performed some encouraging diagnostics, then went to "Running receiver self check..."

Anybody have any ideas? Am i just impatient? Is the DVR formatting the external drive? I have no idea what I am doing here ... I come from a world of plug and play

Thanks - d

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Which Western Digital 2TB drive is this? There are known issues with the "My Book" drives. Check out the eSATA FAQs in the "DirecTV Information & Tips" Forum.

3. DaaQ

DaaQ Legend

Aug 20, 2008
    Well if it is formatting the drive it is goign to take several hours at least for the format of the drive alone. One thing to try is letting it go overnight and see. Do a search here or elsewhere Goo*** to see approx how long a 2 TB drive takes to format.

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    DaaQ:
    No. It actually only takes a few minutes to configure the drive, assuming it's already been "low level" formatted, which most all new drives are.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, cyclamate2001! :welcome_s

Which model DVR did you hook it too as well?

Cheers,
    Tom

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    And keep in mind - the port is eSATA and the disk [HDD] is SATA type.

7. beakersloco

beakersloco AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Is this a new feature for thr R15(I come up here every few months) to be able to hook up an external hard drive to increase capacity ?

8. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Nope, not on the R15 DVRs. Only the R22 SD DVR and HR20/21/22/23 HD DVRs support external eSATA drives.