1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct TV DVR Receiver Model R22-200

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by thedawgg, Jan 15, 2010.

1. thedawgg

thedawgg Cool Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Can someone tell me if this model Direct TV DVR Receiver Model R22-200 can use the wireless networking and get VOD. I hope i posted this in the right place. im new at this. i have a upgrade for monday for 2 SD dvrs. just wondering if they can use VOD networking. Thanks.

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yes it can be networked and access VOD. You'll need to buy a wireless adapter such as the Linksys WET610N if you want to use wireless networking.

And :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Hopefully you mean the HR22 model. :)

4. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    This model can essentially become an HR. The OP posted the accurate model. Rereading, maybe that's what you were inferring..In any case just to be clear for the OP..

5. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    The R22 and HR22 are different boxes, despite the similarity in naming and basic architecture. The R22 is an SD MPEG4-capable receiver. It CAN access and view HD content, provided the subscriber has HD Access on his account and another HR2x box active. It has a 320gb drive, good for over 200 hours of SD and about 50 hours of HD. The HR22 is essentially an HR21 with a bigger drive - 500 gb.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I misread the model number as H22 and then made my stupid reply. :(

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And while the R22 is a SD-DVR, it is based off of the architecture of the HR21.

- Merg

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Eh, it's early still, we'll cut you a break.....this time. ;)

9. thedawgg

thedawgg Cool Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks guys. So let me get this right. i have the HD package so on this DVR i will be able to watch a HD channel but in SD format.Right??? Thanks again

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you have the HD package and another HD receiver on your account, then the "R-22" will function exactly like the HR21, where it will output HD.
    Without another HD receiver on your account, it's "pegged" to SD output only.

11. thedawgg

thedawgg Cool Member

Jan 15, 2010
    i have 2 HD recivers on my account. my kids will love this. thanks alot

12. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    VOS is correct - if you have another HD DVR active on your account, the R22 will appear as "R22-200 (w/HD)" on the System Information screen. You may have to change some of the options in the menus to show them in the Guide, but you WILL be able to use the box to view HD channels and VOD content.

13. thedawgg

thedawgg Cool Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I called to confrim my app. today and guess what------som how they messed up my appointment. Now its friday and im very upset, but not much i can do about it according to them. They tried to blame it on skylink the thrid party contractor, but after talking to them further direct tv made the mistake. Sooooooooooo we will see friday. This after paying almost 500.00 dollars. Im very disappointed:mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. jtilley

jtilley New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Hi gang... I read somewhere on one of the forums that I can connect my R22-200 to my wireless modem by using my WIFI capable laptop. Am I imagining things or ??? Remember, I'm older then dirt! If I can do this it would make networking in my price range!

Thanks, Jack

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can use a wireless gaming adapter connected to the R22 to connect back to your wireless router. Any adapter will work, but unless it is a Linksys WET600 you will need to hook it up to your laptop first to set it up with your wireless network.

- Merg

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Will the WDCCK work for this too without having to set it up through the computer?

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You might change this to:
    The WDCCK will work for this too without having to set it up through the computer
    [for the want of one misplaced will] :lol:

18. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Even I get lucky once in a while. :)