1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct TV East/ West Coast feeds HDTV Signals?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gaz, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    Can those Direct TV customers who qualify for Distant NBC, CBS, and ABC feeds receive HD signals? I heard that Dish customers can receive CBSHD signals? It seems someone told me that Direct TV does not send out HD signals from its East and West coast stations. :confused:

2. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    D* does have HD feeds from the big 4 networks on both coasts. To qualify for reception, the customer needs waivers from any local station having rights to the programming. There is a blanket waiver for those whose local station is owned and operated by the parent network. Customers entitled to reception get it from one coast or the other. All my locals are O&O so I'm getting them for example. A subscription to either the HD package or local programming is also required.

3. bigbw

bigbw AllStar

Jun 25, 2003
    i have waivers from all 4 networks in my town.. I get sd feeds from both NY and LA and HD feeds from LA only..

4. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    So if I were to qualify for an east coast feed it would mean I receive SD rather than HDTV feeds?

5. greywolf

Jul 13, 2005
    Where did you get that from? If you have a waiver, you'd be eligible for SD plus HD if you have an HD receiver. If you have an O&O local, and no waiver, HD only.

6. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    Actually, I had D* turn off an HD feed of mine the other day. 3 CSRs have all told me that I need to apply for HD waivers even though I have waivers for that channel and was getting it in HD. Sometimes I think they go through the list of costumers and decide to mess with people.

7. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Unfortunately you're wrong, they pulled HD Distant Nets on August 30. There are no waivers available for HD just SD.

8. greywolf

Jul 13, 2005
    If individual waivers can't get HD channels any more, it's news to me. As far as O&O local stations with blanket waivers go though, right this minute I have CBSE on 80, NBCE on 82, NBCE on 86, and FOXE on 88 in the Chicago area.

9. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    How come I can't find any info at all on this on the DirecTV site? Shouldn't I be able to go there and see if any of MY locals are O&O so that I can find out if I'd get them in HD if I switched to DirecTV? All I can find on ANY of the big-4 networks in HD on the DirecTV site is a section that says you might get locals in HD with an OTA antenna. Nothing at all about anyone getting any HD networks via satellite. Is this listed somewhere?

- John...

10. greywolf

Jul 13, 2005
  11. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Thanks -- just after posting, I found listings for all of them in Wikipedia. Unfortunately, none of my big-4 are O&O...

Out of curiosity, is there any area where all four local networks are O&O? Gotta be some HD-happy people there! :)

- John...

P.S. Does doing a service-address in such an area still work? ;)

12. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Still curious if anyone lives in such an area and, if so, do they therefore get all of their HD locals (well, the Big-4, at least) via DirecTV?

- John...

13. greywolf

Jul 13, 2005
    Only the New York and LA areas get HD locals until the Mpeg4 stuff is released. The other O&O areas get NY or LA feeds. Besides NY and LA, Chicago has all four O&O as well as some other big cities.

14. Art

Art AllStar

Sep 10, 2003
    now i'm a bit confused here. Where I live (San Francisco Bay Area) I can't get locals with an outdoor antenna because the signal is too weak. I do get SD locals with D* but I don't get the locals in HD, not even NY or LA version. Any way for me to watch ABC, PBS, etc. in HD?

Thanks,
    Art

15. ocnier

ocnier Godfather

May 8, 2003

Yes sort of, DFW is one of where I get HD locals over the air (OTA) by antenna and HD distant feeds as well by satellite. I get all the big four in HD via directv, which is awesome as well as OTA. A few notes for ya though concerning LIL HD. I noticed the other weekend that SNL on NBC for local affiliate through OTA was not in HD. I changed to the east coast feed through D* and the show actually was. This presents a problem in future. When D* offers HD LIL if the sending station isn't transmittiong (basically not doing their job) then you won't see the program in HD. This is not D*'s fault, but it does present a future impasse to the end consumer. This is why I highly recommend even for LIL markets in the future that subs still push for east/west coast feeds.

16. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Let's get this back on track...
    No, they didn't pull the HD distant network service on 30 August. DirecTV's new policy, which is based upon the SHVERA law signed on 8 December, 2004, is to give a qualifying customer one set of HD feeds based upon the time-zone in which they live. Eastern and Central receive the New York feeds; Mountain and Pacific Time Zones receive the Los Angeles feeds.

And there is a waiver process. Go here, for DirecTV's HD qualification and waiver submission page.
    Alright. Pay attention...

The HD feeds being used by DirecTV are from New York and Los Angeles. Since these channels are local to those markets, they are available in the local channel package for each market. Yes, all four networks are owned-and-operated (O&O).

People that are only within the Grade B contours of owned-and-operated network stations automatically qualify for the blanket waiver. For example, I live in the Baltimore DMA, and WJZ is a CBS O&O. However, I do not qualify because I get a great signal from the Gannett-owned WUSA, the CBS in DC.

There are only two other markets where all big four network affiliates are O&O: Philadelphia and Chicago. If you are on the outskirts of transmission zone, it is possible you may be claimed by neighboring affiliates, and the blanket waiver doesn't apply to those affiliates.

17. Art

Art AllStar

Sep 10, 2003
    can somebody please tell what channels West/East Coast locals are available in HD?

18. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Why can't you have East and West of the HD feeds??? We still get the East/West regular channels on 380-389 but now only the East feeds of the HD. Why does it matter if we have East and West on the HD if we already get both on the other?? They act like the HD feeds are so exclusive and they don't want people to have them.

19. greywolf

Jul 13, 2005
  20. TotallyPreWired

TotallyPreWired Cool Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Be careful out there! Some of the HD information on this page is bogus. In my case all they did was take the analog info, add '-DT' to the station names, and present the info. Check yours, and see what you get.

I contacted D* about this, and I was notified today that they are sending my info to DecisionMark. If this 'tool' is the reason that I've been denied FOX HD DNS, I'll be pissed.

I don't know how widespread this bad data is, but in my location there is a huge difference between analog and digital broadcasting.

If anyone finds that their data is also bad, please let us know!
    ....jc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.