1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Direct TV MDU

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TheMowMan, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1 of 17
    TheMowMan

TheMowMan New Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Ok so here is my question.

I just moved to an apartment complex. I have to call a separate company to come out and hook up my directv cause it is an mdu. I called the company that the apartment complex uses and they want $50 bucks per box. I have 3.

Is there anyway that I can hook this up myself. Directly under the dish here is the panel and what is in there. I am just not sure what goes where and if it is that simple as me just hooking up the wire. I have error 771A on my screen right now.

See photos of the panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Apr 6, 2013 #2 of 17
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You should not mess with any of that. I am surprised the box was even unlocked.

3. Apr 6, 2013 #3 of 17
    cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Here is my take on this.

First off you are in an MDU, (multi dwelling unit), that is serviced by a third party. This is normal for MDU's.

You say you are getting a 771A error, this is normal, as your main feed has been disconnected from the dish.

Second you opened the equepiment box (WHY?) and from what I see here, this is a system that YOU THE USER can not just plug into, as there should be other equipment to go with this to feed your recievers.

Now you say you have 3 reciever's, what model as that will determain what extra equipment is needed if any.

It is also normal that third party providers charge between $50 and $75 to do installs.

I have never heard of $50 per reciever.

You have two choice's, 1) work with the provider about the fee's and get it installed,
    2) due without, (or relocate)

Not trying to be smart^%^&%

Good luck

4. Apr 6, 2013 #4 of 17
    longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    First off, I will agree with west99999 in that that box is not yours to mess with. Second, there is nothing for you to hook up in there. There is a dish feed a single SWM8 with one output being used. That line just goes into the conduit on the right. You do not know how many tuners are already assigned to that SWM8. At least he prepared for expansion with the SWM-E4 so it will be fairly easy to set you up.

5. Apr 6, 2013 #5 of 17
    TheMowMan

TheMowMan New Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys. I just saw the box was unlocked and thought maybe there was something simple I could do in there. Yeah there are 2 feeds I guess going into another box next to it that is the same size. Now it is nicely locked up. I didn't mess with that. I just hate to have to pay $50 bucks each. But I will if I have to.

I went and looked at the boxes that are hooked up in the workout rooms and they are just hooked directly into the wall. Unless there is something somewhere else.

6. Apr 7, 2013 #6 of 17
    Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah, bite the bullet. You mess something up and you will wear out your welcome at your new community pretty quick. This way you get you need, you get a warranty and you don't wreck the Welcome Wagon.

7. Apr 7, 2013 #7 of 17
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    You're living in a complex with a contracted, 3rd party provider for tv services..new customer orders, fees and charges are typically based on credit history. There is no getting around the charges, nor the physical install. After 12mths (possibly 6mths), you may qualify for some additional discounts or promos. Can call 800-531-5000 at that time to inquire.

Good luck!

-=K=-

8. Apr 8, 2013 #8 of 17
    TheMowMan

TheMowMan New Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I appreciate all the info.

I have one more question. They want to charge me $50 bucks per box. If I have them do 1 box will all the coax be hot since they hook it up from outside. All I would need to do at that point is just hook up the boxes in the other room.

For example the living area and bedroom back up against each other. The outlet for the coax is on the same wall and lined up with each other strait through if you know what I mean.

Jason

9. Apr 8, 2013 #9 of 17
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Might not be enough tuner capacity if they don't know where you're headed.

$50/box is more than I'd charge, but having it all done and done right is worth something.

10. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    While it may be higher than some other MDU operators but I would imagine that most of the $50 per receiver charge is the expansion of the swm distribution system inside those enclosures. SWMs, taps, amps, power supplies etc...

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Actually it appears to be two SWiM-8s stacked on atop the other on the left side (looking down at the photo) of the E2 expander. There's also an unused NAS PI-6S polarity locker in the upper right with four patch cables hanging loose.

But anyhow, you are correct, there is nothing which can be simply hooked up in that IDF panel even if the TS had the authority to do so. From the photos apparently the TS is going to need a third SWiM-8 module installed in one of the available slots on the right side of the E2 and a coax cable run from it through that conduit to a SWiM splitter in his living unit. A second power adapter for the two open slots of the E2 appears to be already installed.

EDIT: That is, the above is assuming its 8 SWiM channels assigned per dwelling unit. If its say only four SWiM channels then another SWiM-8 switch may or may not be necessary and you can forget about installing any Genies at this MDU.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Another possible solution: Do you have LOS from an exclusive use area (like a balcony)? If so, you might be able to install your own dish and you might be able to use DirecTV's Movers Connection and get it all done for free. You won't win any friends with management, but it could be an option.

13. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    OTARD doesn't protect you when there is a common dish for the property unless that dish doesn't provide same level of service. So if the complex wanted to they could tell him to remove a dish that would typically be protected. Also directv directly isn't supposed to setup and work order types on MDU properties, once it's MDU that building is off limits to directv and all service is referred to MDU administrator.

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    True, as long as it is from a provider the customer wants. If it's a Directv dish and he wants Dish, he can have his own dish. That's not the case here, obviously.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Unless the MDU is more expensive.

If the OP can argue that the $50 per box installation is more expensive than what he can do, then he might have another option.

16. TheMowMan

TheMowMan New Member

Apr 6, 2013
    The apartment complex will not let me put up my own dish. However I see 3 dishes on my unit. I think they actually use 3 per building. I don't know much about this stuff but they have 3 separate LNB's I think they are called on the dish rather all in one. Like this 000 instead of 3 coming into one 0.

17. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    FYI, the Slimline SL5 dish has three LNB assemblies and so does the older Phase III dish.
    But, obviously this is the Slimline SL5 SWM setup.