1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

direct tv wiring

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tsmj, Oct 14, 2012.

1. tsmj

tsmj New Member

Oct 14, 2012
    iam looking at maybe going back to direct tv. turned off service in 1999. trying to see equiment and cabling i will need to get genie receiver installed also with two other hd tvs on the sys. my old pole is about 130 feet away from the house.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You'll need the Slimline SL3 or SL5 SWM dish. This dish uses a mast with 2" OD pole.
    This LNB uses 1 single cable from the dish. Then it will use SWM splitters for the receivers. It can suport up to 8 tuners. The Genie (HR34) has 5 and then two 31 RVU clients for a total of 7.

I'll let others reply as to the 130' from the dish.

Call DirecTV and they will set up everything you need.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    A C31 RVU client does NOT take one of the SWM tuner slots, so an HR34 plus two C31s is only five SWM slots. Each C31 does however use one of the C31 tuners when it is watching "live", so if both C31s are watching "live" the HR34 has only three tuners available for watching/recording.

4. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    i know you meant Each C31 uses one of the HR34 tuners......

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Oops yes - I should read before I post. Just to clarify again. A C31 uses one of the HR34 tuners when it is watching "live" It does NOT use one of the SWM slots.....