1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTivo & UltimateTV owners: a question about remotes...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kfonda, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kfonda

kfonda Cool Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Hi everyone :) I was wondering if you folks could help me out.
    It is VERY important to me that the remotes that come with
    either the UltimateTV or DirecTivo be able to operate my A/V receiver.
    I currently have a Dish Network PVR 501 and I must say it
    operates all my other components very well.I am not concerned
    about my VCR or TV--almost any remote can operate those.
    I downloaded the RCA UltimateTV manual and under the codes
    listed for VCR,TV,Cable Boxes and so on there is literally no section
    marked A/V Receiver--am I missing something? Here's what I need
    to know:

Can someone who has either a RCA UltimateTV,the Sony UltimateTV
    or the SonyTivo tell me if there are programmable codes listed for A/V
    receivers and if so are there any codes for either Pioneer or harman/kardon
    receivers? I am referring to the integrated units meaning DirecTivo or
    Direct UltimateTV receivers.I only need the remote to do basic A/V
    receiver operations: on,off,volume up/down and mute.Thanks a lot
    for reading this :)

2. Corey140

Corey140 Cool Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Nothing is listed under for audio in the UTV manual but you would probably have to try the code first to see if it would work,

3. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    SonyTivo only controls the TV. There is a switch on the side the moves back between TV and Satellite. My Sony Receiver controls my Tivo though... Not sure about the UTV....

4. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    I would recommend a good "Universal" remote. I use the Radio Shack (crazy, I know!) 15-1994, and was pleasantly surprised that I could program it to control the RCA UTV, even though such a thing didn't exist when the remote was released. It can "learn" other remotes commands, and can be programmed to execute a series of commands at the touch of a button.

I got it for $30, it's discontinued now, I see there's one on e-bay for $50. There's probably other good universal remotes available, too.

Matt

5. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    The UTV remote has an "auxillary" button. If you can't find published codes, you could find them manually. It may take a while because there are several hundred codes. You might also contact the manufacturer of your A/V receiver to see if they can tell you the code for your remote.
    BTW, I hope this is not a deal breaker. The UTV is so fantastic, it would be worth it, even if you had to use a separate remote for your A/V receiver.

6. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    If you're interested, you can go to http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/ , which has links to places to get universal remotes, and tells you how to make a JP1 cable, which lets you program the remote with your computer. I haven't tried the JP1 thing yet, but it sounds cool.

Matt

7. kfonda

kfonda Cool Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Thanks Guys--I appreciate all of your help.On the TivoCommunity site there is a thread re the Sony remote for the Sony DirecTivo and how to program it to learn basic A/V receiver commands(though it's not documented in their booklet!) :)

8. kfonda

kfonda Cool Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Guys--anybody have Sony's version of the DirecTV/UltimateTV box? It looks like that's the one I'm going to get--does anybody know if that remote can learn or be programmed for A/V receivers?

9. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.