1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirectTV Techs: Policy Makes Lying Part Of Job

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by junki, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2006 #1 of 177
    junki

junki Godfather

Feb 19, 2004
    Some Central Florida DirectTV satellite technicians seek out the Problem Solvers to fight a company policy they say creates an environment where lying to customers is part of the job.

http://www.local6.com/money/9142100/detail.html

2. May 1, 2006 #2 of 177
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Once again, DTV's choice of poor installation companies burn them.

3. May 2, 2006 #3 of 177
    junki

junki Godfather

Feb 19, 2004
    ( poor installation companies ) its going on with every HSP installation companies across the country

4. May 2, 2006 #4 of 177
    cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I guess this makes up for me lying to the CSR's when they ask if a phone line is connected or not.:D

5. May 2, 2006 #5 of 177
    Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    Don't have a choice? Yeah, right.
    Here's a choice: just connect the d--- phone line.
    Even if the phone line doesn't have active phone service, just connect it.

6. May 3, 2006 #6 of 177
    Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    According to an article at, www.local6.com/problemsolvers/9142100/detail.html
    Direct TV installers have been told to lie to customers about having a telephone line hooked up to there receivers.
    Some even saying to tell the customer if you don't hook up a telephone line to the receiver it will BLOW UP. Now the state Attorney Generals Office in Florida is going to take a look at Direct TV's deceptive practices against the public.

7. May 3, 2006 #7 of 177
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    What a crock.

1) Read the fraking contract you agree to with DirecTV.... It states you must keep a phone line connected to the reciever 24/7. Just because the unit works without a constant phone line, does mean it won't work... it just means that it isn't lieing.

As for the "blowing up", I can't phatom that it is a DirecTV "policy" to use that as a reason. There are plenty "valid" reasons why it needs to be hooked into, PPV, Special packages, mirroring fees... ect.

DirecTV doesn't tracck viewer habits via the phone... with the exception of the "TiVo" powered units, and that is during the "TiVo" phone call..... and it is aggregated information.

After the Attorney General in Florida wastes their time.... they will probably find that it is a disgruntalled installer company.

8. May 3, 2006 #8 of 177
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    These companies not only charge back $5 per receiver, but will also cut back on the tech's workload if he doesn't install phone lines. Meaning it will cost him a lot more money than the $5 a box if he doesn't make sure the phone lines are connected and working properly.

9. May 3, 2006 #9 of 177
    juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    I think the "fraud" portion comes in when d* advertises a "free" install then tries to tell the customer they have to get a "50 dollar" phone jack installed for the receiver to work..to me that is an abomination

10. May 3, 2006 #10 of 177
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Should they also offer the TV if your's doesn't happen to have the necessary connections for the "free" installation ?

11. May 3, 2006 #11 of 177
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

Now is that "DirecTV" directly working with a Tech...

Or the Installer's Company, relationship with their installer...

Installing is not a fun gig.. .it rarely goes smoothly.

But from everything I have seen, it nets out...

For each nightmare install, there is one like mine, where I had the wire sitting there to be hooked to the dish... and they are gone in 20 minutes, vs multiple hours.

12. May 3, 2006 #12 of 177
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006

It is Dtv that are charging back these dealers (who in turn, charge back the techs). While I agree that phone lines should be installed if needed, doing this is ridiculous.

Dtv sends a signal to the receiver usually within the first 24 hours after activation for the receiver to dial in to verify the lines were installed. If they don't, then the tech gets charged back. So Joe Blow with his 4 box install (that he ordered through Dtv) will cost the tech $20 because Joe doesn't have land based phone service. This is B.S.

13. May 3, 2006 #13 of 177
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    The cutting back on the workload is the dealer to the installer. Charging back on the phone lines comes from Dtv, and filters it's way down the line. One can only believe that Dtv is putting the pressure on the different companies.

Earl, the tech should have thanked you, because installs like yours are few and far between. I think it's safe to say that the correct ratio is more like seven nightmare installs for everyone that is like yours.

14. May 3, 2006 #14 of 177
    juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Please explain "why" they need a phone line mine has worked perfectly for years without one

15. May 3, 2006 #15 of 177
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I agree that people should read the contract. The reality however is that they often do not and they really on the CSR on the phone and/or the installer to tell them what it means. If the allegation is true that D* is instructing installers to lie that is wrong.

And I agree with Juan that some of the ads for "Free installation" are a bit misleading. I think that many consumers know that they need a TV but it is less obvious that they needa land line phone connection to watch TV.

16. May 3, 2006 #16 of 177
    zipbags

zipbags Legend

Oct 13, 2005
    When my dvr was installed they said I had to hook it up to a phone line. Which was completely across the room. He wanted to charge me $75 for a wireless connector. I told him no thanks. And ran a telephone wire across the floor. I went to a local store who said the wireless unit was $20. Luckily, I found out I didn't need the hookup before I bought it.

17. May 3, 2006 #17 of 177
    JohnVT

JohnVT Mentor

Jan 30, 2005
    So what IS the real reason D* wants the phone line? Is it just to ensure that the boxes are IN my house? All of my boxes are in the house, but not all are conveniently close enough to a phone line.
    What am I missing out on by not having them hooked to the phone? Just PPV by remote? Website is just as easy for that... Something else??

thanks

18. May 3, 2006 #18 of 177
    Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    The article is about DTV telling lies to its customers. Not about a contract saying you need a phone line connected. But then DTV could tell the truth up front and say. No phone No connect. DTV had an installer snitch them off for there crooked ways and about lying. Its not about a contract. But then some think that DTV or Dish can walk on water and do no wrong.

19. May 3, 2006 #19 of 177
    carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Regarding the phone line:
    Doesn't D* say in their ads that a phone line IS required for some of their exclusive programming? NFL Sunday Ticket comes to mind here.

20. May 3, 2006 #20 of 177
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Yes, that is one (and possibly the only) purpose.
    They may, as E* has done, institute a fee for non-connected advanced receivers in which case you might be charged some extra monthly fees.

The question that remains is whether the fact that the CSR told you, the installer told you and the contract states that you must have a phone line connected precludes the "I didn't know" argument.

I'm of a mind that if the "Professional Installation" doesn't include connection to a phone line, that DirecTV has a weak case for holding the subscriber responsible for having the line connected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.