1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV™'s Fox agreements end at the end of November? (answer is "no")

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MikeR7, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    My brother is a DirecTV™ subscriber but hasn't made the jump to HD yet. While at the Minnesota State Fair this summer, he signed up for DISH and their HD upgrade. He put off the installation until after a vacation to New England at the end of September. When he got back he heard about DISH losing the Fox RSN, and he does not want to lose Fox Sports North, so he put off the installation again until this is settled. In talking to the DISH scheduler he was told that DirecTV™'s Fox agreements run out at the end of November and that they will have the same problem negotiating with Fox. Does anyone here know if what the DISH guy told my brother is true?

I told him that he should call DirecTV™ about an upgrade and mention that he had signed up with DISH but hasn't installed yet and could they give him a great deal, including whole home. I hope they do.

2. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Even if it is true, I put a bit more faith in DIRECTV to get the job done before it's an issue anyway.

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Next year maybe or the year after. I'm sure it isn't this year. The COO of Fox is the former CEO of DirecTV. I like our chances.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Dish does seem to have more of these tiffs with carriers. DirecTV has a very strong sports customer base, not one they want to upset, at least the mainstream (we did lose Versus for quite a while until NHL season.)

5. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    With that and that directv group is a division of liberty media which owns a few fsn's. Odds are very good that there won't be a problem.

6. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Sounds more like the scheduler is trying to keep a DISH subscriber from bolting...

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    The spat with Comcast over Versus is the ONLY dispute I can ever remember that caused a channel loss (Versus has been back since May-ish)

8. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Only Senior Team members at DirecTV would know when the current carriage licenses expire. The DISH guy was just trying to help stem what must feel like an exodus at DISH right now.

I don't see DirecTV risking losing the number of customers that DISH already has because of their failure to negotiate a new contract with FOX.

9. Joe Diver

Joe Diver AllStar

Oct 12, 2006
    I agree. Dish is scrambling to keep customers.

10. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    +1

11. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    This isn't really a channel loss, but back in late 2001 Directv and the WWF got into a contract dispute carriage of their ppv's and they were not aired on there for a few months I don't think.

12. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Haha...the sounds more like a win for humanity. :D Too bad it ended.

13. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IIRC they aren't anymore, and when they split from Liberty they also got Game Show Network and the FSN RSN's that Liberty had.

14. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I used to feel differently, but now having not watched, read about, or cared about anything they do since February I totally agree. I know it's predetermined, but 20 minutes of in ring action on a 2 hour show doesn't sound like "wrestling" to me.

15. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Nice of you to make sure we all know that "DirecTV" is a trademarked name. However, it's actually a registered trademark, so it takes a circle-R, not just a "TM." Perhaps you should leave all that business to the lawyers.

There was a full-page ad in the L.A. Times today reiterating that some Fox channels had already been removed from Dish, and that the local Fox affiliate was in danger of being dropped from Dish November 1st. It suggested switching to another provider, with the DirecTV logo right in the middle of the logos of all the other local providers. I think that's a pretty good sign that Fox is happy with DirecTV at present.

16. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Can only hope. That's why I'm happy I'm out of contract and I'm avoiding any upgrades, etc., that would bind me to another two-year agreement. If this happens to DirecTV, I'll bolt.

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yup .. DIRECTV is an independent company now. Sure, Liberty (and Malone) still own some stock, but last I checked, his voting power stopped @ 24%.

Still, I think DIRECTV & Fox have a much better relationship than DISH & Fox. Now, that being said .. a DISH CSR as the source of DIRECTV's contract situation .. well, let's just say, I'm not sure that's the best source. Sounds more like a tools to keep the customer than actual news.

18. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    The only people who really lose in these situations are the customers who either have to wait for some time in order for the two sides to have a meeting of the minds, or they have to pay expensive early termination fees to change to a new provider.

Fox will end up getting its money from DISH, and DISH will compensate by getting more money from its customers.

Here's a thought, Charlie..."Cut to the chase and let's watch TV".

19. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I just copied it from a heading on another forum for this site, and I like the way it looks. :lol:

20. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    FOX negotiations? No problem. How much do you want? No problem. March is coming soon when we zonk all of our subs with big package rate increases. We'll just add some to it to cover your new rate. Maybe we'll up the DVR fee another buck next time too to make up for those annoying subs who are getting HD for free. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.