1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV ‘hacker’ terrorizes family

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    DirecTV ‘hacker’ terrorizes family

(Loganbanner.com) - The ‘hacker’ was using a DirecTV feature, known as the search page, to make conversation with the family. When Roger arrived at his brother’s house, the device began conversation with him immediately. “As soon as I walked in the door, he typed ‘Hi, Roger. Nice green shirt,’” Roger said....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For the camera, there have been vulnerabilities in smart TV's that have cameras. It can also be fairly easy to gain access to a wifi network as well, even WPA2 protected which may assist the tormentor.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I always question the veracity of these types of stories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TheSaint609

TheSaint609 New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    The URL you provided comes back as a malware/virus infected site/link. I don't suggest anyone use it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Nothing much on the Internet about this except the Logan Banner article , this Dbstalk post , some Facebook post and a few others. When I see this on my supermarket check out line I will become concern. :)

6. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I think you got a false positive. I went there earlier with no warnings from either my antivirus or firewall and the Logan Banner is a legitimate newspaper, part of the Civitas Media group.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Could have been an ad. Yesterday at the office we got a lot of FireEye alerts related to RubiconProject and it really depended on what ad you got when you pulled up the site. Or a false positive.

8. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I hope it isn't someone in the household pulling a prank here. When I first used the DirecTV app on my iPad, I thought about messing with the family room box while someone else was watching it, which I easily could've done without the non-tech-savvy viewer suspecting that such a stunt would even be possible. I never did anything like that, though, which is why I still have a home here.

9. prushing

prushing DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 14, 2007
    You have to have access to the network to search, change channels, etc. The TV probably has the camera. How about disconnecting the TV from the network and changing your router password. I bet that would have stopped it.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If the person doing this got into the wifi network, changing the wifi password may not help depending on how they did it. The wifi password could be irrelevant, it's not necessarily needed to get in. Some possibilities would be more likely than others in that scenario.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    In the article, Vizio stated the TV doesn't come with a camera.
    The article on first read is a bit far fetched, but with the connectivity these days, a more likely scenario is someone accessed the home network from outside, used the DirecTV app, and could see into the home through the windows to react to them. This would also explain knowing the vehicle outside.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, that likely is what happened. And with the "Internet of Things", it's going to be more of an issue. Just this month a company fixed a security vulnerability with their lightbulbs.

13. Draconis

Draconis DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sounds like he has a unsecured router and a neighbor does not like him.

Attach to the unsecured router, run a program like DIRECTV remote (which allows you to send commands to any IP-enabled IRD), and have a clear line of sight into the targets room.

Video camera would work, or you could just look in the window with a telescope or binoculars.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It probably was unsecured, but that isn't technically necessary. It's not that hard to get into a WPA2 router through WPS. Especially if it's a Linksys.

15. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    With a view into the room through a window, the "hacker" wouldn't even need access to the network. A sufficiently powerful IR blaster connected to a computer with some pre-defined macros could accomplish the same thing.

What's a little hard to figure out is how they would know who the guy was talking to on the phone..that implies they had audio. I wonder if some kid lives in the house too and is playing some kind of game

16. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    IR blaster and line of sight works to explain all here, throw in binoculars and crime solved.

17. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    If they hacked one of their cellphones they'd have it all...audio, video and a way to send search strings to their DVR (assuming they have the DirecTV app installed). Hacking a cellphone is even easier than hacking a WiFi network.

18. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I got a virus warning as well