DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV- 4K trademarks

5K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  P Smith 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Nice Job Directv.
Happy for you all that want this.

I don't want this , Have no intrest in spending more money on Premium TV's or its programming.

#12 ·
damondlt said:
Nice Job Directv.
Happy for you all that want this.

I don't want this , Have no intrest in spending more money on Premium TV's or its programming.
That's what folks said when HD first started to come out. There are still some folks around here that say they're happy with their R15 and SD, don't need no stinking HD channels.

#14 ·
Hoosier205 said:
He's probably talking about broadcast.
dpeters11 said:
I think he means the broadcast and cable channels going to 1080p, instead of 720p or 1080i.

Hoosier beat me to it.
IF that is what he's referring to then I would like to ask what networks currently broadcast in 1080P. How is it the fault of DIRECTV if FOX is in 720P and not 1080P?

#15 ·
RAD said:
That's what folks said when HD first started to come out. There are still some folks around here that say they're happy with their R15 and SD, don't need no stinking HD channels.
HD from SD is a big improvement.

HD to 4K is not. You are never going to make a picture better then Live no matter how much resolution and contrast you drop in.
The HD we have now on most sports looks like you are there live now.

Not many people are going to invest the kind of money that one can Garentee ,Directv and TV manufacturers are going to charge for it.
Thats all I can say.

Maybe if Directv took our money and spent it on improving the HD we currently have and/or Don't have we wouldn't need Ultra.

Most Networks now are in 720p or 1080i, You think they are going to run to 2160p? They aren't even 1080p yet.

#17 ·
TheRatPatrol said:
I say focus on getting everything in HD first before worrying about 4k.
Agree:)

#18 ·
Here's my take. DIRECTV wants to go after the higher end customer, aka has a higher ARPU. They're going to be able to get those customers if they can provide content that others don't offer. So when that person goes out and buys a new 4K set and they look around at the content providers and see that DIRECTV has some content which their local cable, telco and maybe Dish doesn't where do you think they're going to go with their money? I think that's the same reason DIRECTV launched their 3D channels before others. Yea, 3D hasn't been on fire but you can still see the occasional post over at Dish threads asking why Dish still doesn't have any 3D except for a couple PPV movies.

And remember, if/when they add 4K channels it probably won't be until D14 goes operational, which isn't until a year from now, and allows for more HD channels also.

#19 ·
leier911 said:
Sadly, this may be awhile off, but they are getting ready for some 'copyrights' ha ha
The original PCMag article from March 2012 said that they were shooting for 2016. In DIRECTV speak that probably means 2018.

Woe be upon those who will surely try to get their 4K content stuffed through an NTSC distribution setup.

#20 ·
RAD said:
Yea, 3D hasn't been on fire but you can still see the occasional post over at Dish threads asking why Dish still doesn't have any 3D except for a couple PPV movies.
Didn't DIRECTV pour water on that fire with the retirement of n3D this week?

#22 ·
RAD said:
Or did Panasonic pull the plug since they were the sponsor of the channel?
Either way someone saw it wasn't pulling in the customers to justifiy the cost.

#23 ·
Scott Kocourek said:
IF that is what he's referring to then I would like to ask what networks currently broadcast in 1080P. How is it the fault of DIRECTV if FOX is in 720P and not 1080P?
I know dtv does alot of ppv broadcast in 1080p, but if more stations broadcast in 1080p would dtv have a capacity issue, or is plenty of extra bandwidth available?

#26 ·
RAD said:
Or did Panasonic pull the plug since they were the sponsor of the channel?
That DIRECTV removed it from the uplink suggests that they (and Panasonic) are done with it for now.

In the mean time, the 3D offerings seem to be tending toward less instead of more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.