1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV 5.1 Cable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skaman74, Mar 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. skaman74

skaman74 AllStar

Feb 17, 2012
    Sorry if this is a really stupidly easy question but what cable would I use to have 5.1 audio for my HR24. I have a audio reciever that supports 5.1 (sony).

Thanks!

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    hdmi, optical, or coaxial.

3. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    If you're receiver supports HDMI and you want to use the 5.1 every time you watch TV then run one HDMI cord from the HR24 to the AVR, then and HDMI cord from the AVR to the TV. If it doesn't support HDMI or you don't want to run it through your AVR, just use optical or coaxial. You just can't pass lossless though optical or coaxial but that's okay because the DirecTV receivers will put out 5.1 Dolby Digital because that's the best sound quality available through cable/satellite.