1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV 7S spacecraft on May 4th has been updated to 5:42 a.m. PDT

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lee120, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 3, 2004 #1 of 15
    lee120

lee120 Legend

Dec 2, 2002
    Sea Launch Updates Lift Off Time for May 4 Launch
    Monday May 3, 8:15 am ET

LONG BEACH, Calif., May 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Sea Launch liftoff time for the DIRECTV 7S spacecraft on May 4th has been updated to 5:42 a.m. PDT (12:42 GMT) to accommodate availability of the TDRSS (NASA's Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System). Sea Launch uses the TDRSS to acquire telemetry from the Zenit-3SL launch vehicle during flight. Liftoff remains well within the mission's two-hour launch window, which opens at 5:22 a.m. PDT (12:22 GMT).
    ADVERTISEMENT

All operations are proceeding on schedule at the launch site on the Equator. The Sea Launch Commander is now safely stationed three miles from the Odyssey Launch Platform for the final hours of the launch countdown. The launch vehicle now stands erect on the launch pad in preparation for launch.

The Zenit-3SL vehicle will lift the 5,483 kg (12,063 lb.) DIRECTV 7S satellite to geosynchronous transfer orbit, on its way to a final orbital position at 119 degrees West Longitude. Built by Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) at their state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Palo Alto, Calif., the 1300-series spacecraft is one of several high capacity direct-to-home (DTH) broadcast satellites SS/L has produced for DIRECTV, the leading U.S. digital television provider.

Sea Launch will carry a live satellite feed and streaming video of the entire mission, beginning at 5:20 a.m. PDT (12:20 GMT). To downlink the broadcast, transponder coordinates are posted at: www.boeing.com/nosearch/sealaunch/broadcast.html . A simultaneous webcast will be posted at: www.sea-launch.com/current_index_webcast.html

Sea Launch Company, LLC, headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., and marketed through Boeing Launch Services ( www.boeing.com/launch ), is the world's most reliable commercial launch services provider. With the advantage of a launch site on the Equator, the proven Zenit-3SL rocket can lift a heavier spacecraft mass or provide longer life on orbit, yielding best value plus schedule assurance. Sea Launch offers the most direct and cost-effective route to geostationary orbit. For additional information, visit the Sea Launch website at: www.sea-launch.com.

2. May 3, 2004 #2 of 15
  3. May 3, 2004 #3 of 15
    mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    Is there anyway to watch this video later on tomorrow? I can't watch it at that time of day, and I'd like to see the launch.

4. May 3, 2004 #4 of 15
    dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    SeaLaunch makes the video available of the launch for download (indefinitely, I think), and DirecTV is broadcasting it live on channel 855 and repeating it throughout the day.

5. May 3, 2004 #5 of 15
    mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    OK, thanks for the help. I will look for it later on tomorrow.

6. May 3, 2004 #6 of 15
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Question for the science types.

Why is there a "launch window"? I remember launch windows from going to the moon. Obviously the moon moves relative to the earth, so they had to launch when the moon was where it was.

But this thing is just going UP. Nothing is going to be different 5 hours later, or 15 days later, right? Up is up. Its going to 119 W from 154W. The distance is the same all day long.

Why launch in the middle of the night?

7. May 3, 2004 #7 of 15
    DCXFORDGM

DCXFORDGM Mentor

Jul 15, 2003
    The launch will be carried out on directv, most likely channel 224 or around there, they always put it up in the 200's channels. But it may not be available to subs.

8. May 4, 2004 #8 of 15
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Channel 855, live and repeated all day.

Assuming it works.

9. May 4, 2004 #9 of 15
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    8:10am EDT and still no video from the launch site, just the DirecTV logo.

10. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Also on AMC 9 - Ku 17.

11. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Can't pull up the feed from work; did the launch go OK?

12. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    So far, all is well.

13. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    It's been a LONG time since I did any orbital maneuver calculations, so I don't know the details, but there's a couple things I can think of:

1. LEO satellite paths in the way (GPS, etc).

2. Possible tidal effects from moon might influence the launch.

3. Atmospheric heating during the day raises the troposphere (Or is it the ionosphere?), which will cause more drag on the launch vehicle. A night launch would minimize that.

joe

14. Fredfa

Fredfa AllStar

Mar 27, 2003
    One reason they talked about was the ability of NASA to help track the satellite in that time period.

15. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr AllStar

Apr 23, 2002
    Launch windows also factor in vehicle issues such as the length of time liquid propellants are in the flight tanks. As time goes on, liquid oxygen and hydrogen tend to "boil off" reducing the available amount in the tanks.

Since SeaLaunch uses NASA's TDRS system to track the vehicle, they had to find the best available "fit" for the available timeframe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.