1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv account questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by curtm1973, Apr 28, 2013.

1. curtm1973

curtm1973 New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Gilbert, Az
    I currently have a directv account with 4 receivers. A family member, who is a directv subscriber in Illinois, is moving in with us (along with her daughter).

A few questions on what is our best bet to continue with service:

1. Is it possible for both of us to keep our accounts we have in the same house (i.e. 2 accounts in 1 house)?
    2. If not, how many receivers are allowed on 1 account (we would need Directv in 6 rooms)
    3. Are there any other options?

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    My replies are below:

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    1: Yes, if both share the same dish, you need to have the hardware upgraded to handle the number of tuners you will have total, and isolate the two accounts.
    2: Ive seen people on here with like 20 or more....dont guess there is a hard limit.
    3: Close one of the accounts, order new boxes for the new rooms needing service on the remaining account, and pool your money for a better package with more channels...assuming both accounts arent currently under a contract.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, there is a point where you have to weigh whether the installer has the experience to properly put together a very large complex system. I don't think 6 rooms would be like that, as long as he knows to isolate them from accessing each other, which isn't difficult.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    More specificity about the receivers would be very helpful. At the very least a breakdown of DVR vs non-DVR would help.

6. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The only "limit" I know of is that once you go over 6, you can't activate an additional reciever on the website and need to call DirecTV.

As noted previously, it is more cost effective to have only one account, but you may have reasons to maintain financial separation. Also, assuming the receivers are all leased, the ones from the terminated account would have to be returned, and replacements issued under the surviving account. Depending on the mix of DVRs and regular receivers, and whether or not all are SWM compatible, you may also need wiring, multiswitch and/or LNB updates.

7. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Would adding receivers to the existing account cause the current contract to extend? Other than privacy and the financial responsibility part, I thought combing would make more sense too. However, as I recall, calling in a move did not extend my current contract, so that might be another reason.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes adding any new receiver will cause a new contract. I believe it is 18 months for a SD receiver, and 24 months for pretty much anything else (SD-DVR, HD Receiver, HD-DVR, or Genie).

At this time the Mover's Connection requires a 12 month contract extension if you use it and don't upgrade any hardware. If you accept their offer of hardware upgrades (Free Whole Home DVR upgrade, Free Sunday ticket MAX), then I believe it may come with a longer commitment, and it definitely will if any receivers are swapped out/upgraded.

9. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    There are reasons for that sometimes. I work 45 minutes from where I live and have mostly owned equipment. In my experiences in the past when I have a receiver bite the dust they almost always want to send someone out. All 6 of my DVR's are in the same house. Usually what happens they have to schedule someone, it will be a week, I can really only have them come on Saturday's since I am not home during the day during the week, and last but not leased, THEY ALWAYS SWAP OWNED FOR LEASED!!! I always have to call the access card department and have it fixed when they leave. It is much easier to have one activated as owned the first time and much faster to have a replacement drop shipped to me.

The one upside is that I tend to get the dead owned DVR's swapped to HR24's when a tech comes to the house. I just had a SWM16 replaced a few months ago and showed the tech every DVR in the house. While I admit I have a larger than normal setup, I am not doing anything wrong but just prefer to deal with replacements on my own. Should I need an alignment, LNB, cables ran, etc, by all means send a tech as soon as possible.

11. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Thats perfectly understandable. Of course not everyone who has a large setup who wants the stuff installed on their own is doing something wrong the amount that are probably very very low. I should of been more specific on that last post was in a rush, that customer I was referring to was obvious they were up to something. A 1 story small house should not need 24 receivers activated at once, especially when i asked how many homes he had and he said just this one lol. I said you do know you have 24 receivers activated and he said he is using that many in case one goes out lol. haha sure

12. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Depending on your current setup and how long they are going to stay with you, you may just want to run extra outputs to the other rooms. More than one tv would have to be on the same channel, but if that isn't much of an inconvenience and they aren't staying long, you may want to go that route.