1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV Activates HD Local Channel Service in Three More Cities

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Newshawk, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    DIRECTV has added HD Local service in Grand Rapids, MI; Green Bay, WI and Providence, RI.

For more information, go here: http://home.businesswire.com/ (Registration required.)

That makes four added today, and 49 total.

2. crockett

crockett AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    Blow me over. We weren't even on the websites list.

Still only 2 of 4 big networks and now D* officially has HD in my DMA:rolleyes: Not. But I'm keeping a positive attitude and glad the start of the moment has finally arrived.

Add the other two networks, dual live buffers and eliminate the occasional partial and/or cancel bugs and I'm in TV heaven.

3. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Passed up again. :(

4. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    WOAH!!!! I gotta call and get my AT-9/Slimline installed NOW!!!

5. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Fox/WLUK may take a while judging by conversations on this board. They are owned by Lin.

6. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Sweet. The installer is going to be at my house Saturday morning to install the new dish!

7. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    So Mike.... are you happy at all about this news? ;)

8. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    :D

Who me?

So, has LIN TV agreed with D* for any of their stations or is it hopeless?

9. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    I'm going with just a little. :)

I'll try not to shown the same level of enthusiasm, but this is the next best thing to then turning on the OTA tunners for me anyway. I can now move some of the programing duties from my HR10 to my HR20.

Drea

10. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Where the #$%& is Oshkosh? ;)

Yes, OTA is the real desire, but this helps for now. If our local MPEG4 quality even remotely resembles OTA quality then this will be nice for saving space on the hard drive as well.

I mostly want the new dish for the rumored less rain-fade problems.

11. kevc66

kevc66 Mentor

Oct 12, 2006
    Anyone have news on HD locals for Harrisburg,PA..

12. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Interesting. Just had an email exchange with the station director at WLUK. He said he knew nothing about the HD feeds getting turned on for all the stations other than theirs, and he sounded fairly upset that theirs wasn't part of the deal. Maybe a push from the tv stations will help LIN settle up with D*?

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    What is WLUK an affiliate for?

14. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Fox, so yes, I STILL cannot record NFC games in HD. :mad:

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Sounds similar to what the local staff at KXAN (another LIN station) when someone asked them why they weren't on D*'s HD channels, he was going to call corporate. Of course D* still doesn't have them. I'd be curious to know what the hold up is, does LIN want more $'s then D*'s willing to part with or do they want subchannels carried?

16. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    That's not an issue for us anyway. WLUK is our only LIN-owned station and it only has the SD and HD channels, no subs. Good thought though. I'm guessing it has everything to do with money, doesn't it always?

17. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    When my area gets HD LiLs, will I just notice them since I get my SD locals and have an AT9 and an HR20-700? (My DMA is supposed to be out before the end of the year, so I expect it sometime in Feb. ;) )

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yep, they'll just show up, you have to do nothing.

19. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    For the heck of it I e-mailed out local LIN station asking what the hold up is, their response:

"Our parent company, LIN Television, strongly believes that subscriber fees paid to broadcasters by cable/sat providers are important to our long-term survival. Cable/sat providers currently pay those fees to all program providers except local broadcasters. LIN is committed to withholding authorization to carry the HD signals until agreements can be reached with these entities. "

So it's the all might $ that's the hold up (like we really expected something else). :(

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    So is DirecTV currently paying them for the right to carry their SD signal (which by law DirecTV is required to carry, and cover all the expenses of getting the signal from the affiliate to the customer)...

Why should it be any different for the HD?

IIRC... I thought revenue on the Affiliate level was driven by advertisers, which is driven by the number of people who can receive signal....

Ah well....good luck with that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.