1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv add attacking Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bflora, Jan 18, 2010.

1. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    I just watched an add for Directv showing the additional fees that Dish charges that are "included" in the Dtv charge. They point out a $60 per year fee for "each additional receiver not on a phone line" that Dish charges. How is this any different than what Dtv charges for each additional receiver? Seems very misleading to me!:confused:

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The charge they are referring to is over and above any additional receiver charge. Dish charges you $5/month if you dont have a phone line hooked up.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Because DirecTV doesn't charge for receivers without a line. Dish, you pay the monthly fees for receivers, then $5 extra per month without a phone line.

It's kind of funny though, because DirecTV still calls it required, though generally not really needed. But no fee if you don't.

4. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Actually, Dish charges that fee for duo-TV receivers only. With DirecTV, you HAVE TO have 2 receivers for 2 TVs; Dish uses one box for both TVs to have separate programming, and the charge for the second TV, unlike D*, is waived if you connect a phone line. It's true, but, as usual for attack ads (everyone does it), some information is missing.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's like the recent Verizon/AT&T ads. Both telling the truth, but leaving stuff out. Or like Dish saying we can't 30 second skip.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is a feature really a feature if it isn't documented or supported?

The "skip" is an interesting case study as the HD DVR manual calls the button a skip button but makes no mention of the function actually being a "slip". The explanation of the "slip" feature shows up in the website "Tricks & Tips" section.

7. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Yes, it is a feature, whether widely known or not...the Dish ad makes it sound like it cannot be accomplished on a D* box...which is misleading. However, the D* ad is also highly misleading...as has already been noted...

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    What? Marketing folks toeing the company line? Absurd! :p :D

9. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    coldsteel was one of those kind enough to help me with a friend's issue (talked about here). Thankfully, we now have her hooked up to the phone line... and I made sure the receiver dialed in.

The Dish fees would certainly add up as I have four DVRs.

On the phone fees, if Dish Network receivers dial out using an 800 number, I'd be alright, but if they dialed using another number, I'd be charged fees for that as well since we have "topless" DSL here.

~Alan

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I don't feel for either side. Just marketing in action.

Dish attacks Directv in unfair ways, so right back at them IMO.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    DBS attack ads aren't exactly pit bull fights, but are obviously just as unsettling to the fanbois.

12. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    What happens if you want HD feeds to both of those TV's? Does Dish send 2 HD feeds at the same time?

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Nope. The second TV is SD only. That's because it's sent via coax cables via diplexers.