1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV Airlifts NFL Network To Game-Deprived Fans in Florida

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jeigh, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeigh

Jeigh AllStar

May 16, 2002
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1086631&highlight=

Ha ha! Now that's a smart move right there!

2. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    That's awesome. One of the coolest marketing ploys I've ever heard of.

3. sr6376

sr6376 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    Sure, until you start reading reports of a massive car pile-up due to dopey drivers watching the game instead of the road! :D

4. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Thats their own moronic fault, awesome marketing ploy

5. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Now if they would do that and broadcast the Led Zepplin concert..... (AWESOME)

6. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    deleted due to duplicate post

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Great marketing idea.. they should do the same over NFL games each week.

8. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    That's awesome..

I have BHN, and it's been great. One of the rare cable companies that is pretty good. I've had awesome customer service, better PQ that DirecTV, every analog channel is also simulcast in digital, better HD picture (MPeg2 vs Mpeg2). And I;ve never had a single second of lost recordings on the DVR, or a lip synch issue, etc.. Cost is cheaper than DirecTV with 3 TVs.

really, I've been very impressed.... until lately...

Now Directv has gotten really agressive. Ton of HD channels, agressive marketing. I like it.

BHN just announced the gradual roll-out of over 50 new HD channels. Better late than never. They're running fiber into the neighborhoods and using switched digital into the homes fo huge amounts of bandwidth.

I'm giving BHN another year or so to see what happens. For the first time in probably 10 years, it looks like DirecTV is pulling ahead. So if BHN doesn't get Big10 and NFL Net to me soon, plus come through on their HD plans, I may switch. (Assuming the pixelization and lip synch and DVR issues are worked out by then). Plus I want to wait and see how this new HD sat holds up during the rainy summer in Florida.

It's really a win-win. As directv does, everyone else follows. BHN has been pretty good, although some of what I read about some of your local cable campanies is just horrid...

9. techstar25

techstar25 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I just switched from BHN (Orlando) to DirecTV (first time subscriber), and I couldn't be happier. NFLN was just one of the reasons for switching (also for FSN and the Magic games), but now after about a week, I realize there are about 100 reasons why I'll never go back to cable.

10. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Very rare lip sync issues for me, no pixelation to speak of.

ClubSteeler: where are you watching the Steelers each week? I have found that NFLST, even with Superfan, etc. costs me less than going to the bar for all those Sundays.

11. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    And with the Big Ten network and all the game coverage, I was able to cancel the ESPN Gameplan this year to see Penn State every week between that and ESPN / ABC.

12. vlhgsd

vlhgsd AllStar

Nov 9, 2007
    Saw the blimp 2 days ago, didn't know why it was flying around. Cool.

13. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    When I canceled DirecTV many years ago, I kept NFTST, and I get autorenewed every year. So every sunday I get the DirecTV receiver out of the closet and watch the Steelers.

I was upset that I couldn't get Penn State on GamePlan this year because of Big10 Network. I wish BHN carried it. However, I understand why the don't, and I don't blame them. How can this brand new network have the gull to force a cable company to offer it on the lowest tier? What history or ratings do they have to be so bold? Also, BHN is moving analog channels up to digital becasue for every one they move, they can add 3 HD channels, and Big10 and NFL wants them to add more analog channels.

You'd think that a brand new network would want as many viewers as possible, but they'd rather lock-out millions from their channel based on greed.

14. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, hopefully they have the express written consent of the NFL Commisioner. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.