1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv and a 3 year contract

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hfa, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1 of 22
    hfa

hfa Cool Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Got an email today stating that Directv would lock certain savings with a free genie upgrade and free nfl with a 3 year contract.Are companies and Directv trying to up the contract to 3 years? To me, 2 years is bad as I hate the contract game.

2. Jun 7, 2013 #2 of 22
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Read the details. "ALL DIRECTV OFFERS REQUIRE 24-MONTH AGREEMENT." You get an extra $10 discount the third year but it does not come with a 3 year agreement.

3. Jun 8, 2013 #3 of 22
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I will never agree to a 3 year commitment without a Total Price LOCK !

4. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I will never agree to a 3 year commitment without a Total Price LOCK !

This. 3 years is absolutely nuts and something I would never, ever agree to unless I am locked into a price and am provided possible upgrades in 1-2 years.

5. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Subscriber acquisition takes 2 years as to why the contract is 24mos. DirecTV simply does not do 3 year contracts. Read the offer details in full.

6. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Did my two years once, I'm done with contracts.

7. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    lol. So full price for equipment from TV providers and cell phone companies? Definitely worth it...

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Apparently, you haven't been following current trends. NO CONTRACT cell phones are overtaking the 2 year plans. One of these days the satellite TV providers are going to learn too. Cable has. Time-Warner tried a stupid "price lock guarantee" in my area which was really a 2 year contract in disguise but unlike DirecTV it did guarantee the same price for the term. It is no longer offered.

You never know, one of these days the satellite providers might start selling their equipment again (at a reasonable price) to subscribers who have had it with these "lease agreements" and commitments. That's the way it was when I got DirecTV and I'd welcome it's return.

9. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The problem with eliminating commitments, at least for new customers, is that it would be very hard to sign up new customers if they are being charged a market price for installation. Give a free installation and you need to recover your costs. That said, I could see a sliding scale of commitments. Realize that there is almost no cost in a receiver/DVR, the upfront lease payment covers most of the new cost and they get it back if you cancel. Now a new customer with a full install gets a 2 year commitment. An upgrade to an existing account that requires a truck roll, 1 year commitment. Upgrade that is just shipped to you, 6 month commitment. At this point you could start working like the cell industry, pay full upfront price and get no commitment, get a reduced upfront price with a commitment.

10. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Exactly. The cost has to be recovered and if there is no requirement on the customer's end, the company is not going to front the money. If hardware/service costs money, someone has to pay for it. "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

11. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    I have a receiver and when it breaks I'll get another one but I won't be signing up for two years.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How will you manage that?

13. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I'm sure it will be easy because a two-year contract is not required for equipment replacements for broken equipment.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Under contract or not, they replace broken equipment with the comparable model for at worst $20 S&H without the PP, should not extend commitment. Sometimes mistakenly it gets extended when it shouldnt. If you're not planning on changing providers, it really shouldn't matter but some people just can't handle being under contract for whatever reason. If you choose to try to get an upgrade from an HR2x model to a Genie, that will require a new 2 year commitment.

15. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Bingo :)

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I didn't consider the cost of an HR10-250 at about $1000 very reasonable back in the day but lots of people bought them. Reasonable is subjective....what do you consider a reasonable price to be able to outright buy your own sat equipment? Something tells me you don't consider the current prices that you can get owned equipment for reasonable. IIRC, you stick with SD partially due to cost or something like that correct?

17. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Yes, that is their policy. Relevance to the conversation?

18. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    You asked I answered, seems relevant to me.

19. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    We were talking about getting products that come with an agreement and you mentioned a replacement receiver which does not. Not sure where you see the relevance.

20. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    lol Have it your way.....