1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV and Dish Collaborating on ASAP Advertising Program.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Grentz, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Interesting hot off the press:

Looks like an expansion and simplification (for advertisers) of the current interactive promo channels (press the red button to see the full ad). I have not seen one on a normal channel for awhile, but it looks like they might be becoming more frequent.

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    As long as it's not taking up 1/2 the screen, I guess it's all right.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Almost seems like a furtherance of the old Tivo ability to press the Thumbs Up button while watching a commercial for a TV show and having it set up a recording for the show.

It will be interesting to see how interactive these advertisements will get. If you think about it, by using your network connection, you could feasibly order products right from your remote and have it charged to a credit card that is on file with the provider or even enter in the card number right there on the screen.

- Merg

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well awhile back, I think it was Axe and a few others, actually had interactive channels on the new HRs. You would see the add and it would popup a "press red button to see more" type thing which would then take you to the interactive channel if you pressed the button.

Definitely like the old Thumbs Up feature but for ads, wish that was still around it was really convenient (though towards the end barely any commercials had it).

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    BTW, I think this might be front-page news worthy...

- Merg

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is something I've been expecting for some time, and to be honest I'm glad to see both major satellite providers on board with this. Hopefully, the influence of both companies will lead to reasonably unobtrusive implementation, and keep costs down for everyone.

7. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I have mixed emotions on this one. Having been in marketing for over 30 years, I see the value to the advertiser. I have no issues with it on "free" TV, but I have some reservations about the intrusiveness when I'm paying a lot of money for service, be it cable, Sat or Uverse/FIOS.

If there's some value to me, ala the TiVo ability to record a program when a commercial is on for it, then at least I get something for it. But, when I'm bombarded with advertising on a paid service, I tend to get upset.

No different that using an app on the iPhone. I've found the pop up ads on the free apps to be very annoying and will gladly pay a couple of bucks to get an ad free app.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm hoping that with both companies collaborating, there will be some limit to the amount of "pop-up" advertising that happens. But, folks, you have to know that stuff like this is the future. Content isn't free to create, and when you take away commercials (as we effectively do when we skip them) that money has to come from somewhere.

As I said, I've know this was coming for a long time. In fact, as has been pointed out, this is an evolution of what TiVo's been doing since day 1. I suspect there will be some time while the amount of advertising gets worked out, but I look at it like banner advertising. There was a point in the evolution of the web where advertising was so intrusive, with popups, popunders, sound and motion that people tended to stay away from sites that were too annoying to read. If people react negatively to ads, they will be pulled or scaled back.

9. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Haven't you seen that TNT, TBS & a slew of other "not free" channels use those banner ads on the bottom of the screen during a program? Been going on for awhile now.

I do wonder if this will be a dedicated channel like it is now in the low 100s, or will it pop-up on any channel?

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Interesting that on the one hand DIRECTV & DISH are working together on advertising (the sales divisions) and fighting each other on advertising (the marketing divisions) at the same time. Things that make you go Hmmmmm ....

11. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    When I saw the title of this thread I had to double check the date stamp and make sure it wasnt 4/1...

That said, I pay for TV and those channels get paid on a per subscriber basis. I dont buy things because they get advertised on TV anyway, so I dont feel guilty when I make liberal use of the skip button to cut those commercials out.

If I do have to watch commercials (when watching a live sports game), its usually muted. If I'm too lazy to mute it and I hear it tell me to do something, I'm more likely to do the exact opposite.

Intrusive, incessant advertising is what drove me away from TV years ago. High Def, DVR capability, and that skip button are big reasons I'm back. If the advertisers think they're going to somehow weasel their way back into my face, they have another thing coming.

12. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Yeah, just reading the thread title made me start to :lol:

13. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    I can't wait to see how this plays out.

14. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    We're seeing more intrusive and annoying animated pop-ups during programming, as well as more aggressive product placement in programming content.

We can't win, it seems.

So I watch less and less.

15. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I can see the next To Tell The Truth commercial.

Which provider has more ad's?

16. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    If we start getting pop up ads while we're watching programing we are already paying for, I'm going to get pissed.

This is BS. :nono:

17. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Seems almost exactly like the old TiVo ability. In fact, this one sentence:

Recently, I had a Burger King showcase on my TiVo Series 3. Within the Showcase, I entered a contest and played a Burger King themed game.

In the past, I have even requested a brochure as well gotten free samples via DirecTiVo's as well.

Honestly, if DirecTV can offer it as non-intrusive as TiVo does, I have no problem with it.

I would imagine this is also tied into the Local Political and Retail Advertising initiative DirecTV mentioned recently (click here to see what I'm talking about).

~Alan

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I didn't realize that Tivo had gotten that advanced in that area. The last I used a Tivo was my old R10, which basically just had the Thumbs Up ability during a commercial.

- Merg

19. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    TV?...hmmm...TV? Oooohhh!!!!...I used to watch that...before they ruined their presentations with ads during it, and when they actually showed variety instead of turning them into show channels (USA into Law and Order channel and Spike into the CSI channel).

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    All the other stuff was available when they started the thumbs up during the commercials. It was just that much of it was not used (and still isn't).

My concern about this red button thing is that DirecTV still needs to make the automation layer more transparent. It already affects trick play on sports channels but that I can live with because of the added benefit. I see no benefit to me or most customers with this other than the Tivo-like slippery slope to keep costs to the customer down. (Believe me, Tivo got VERY commercial.)