1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv and UAL

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dod1450, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I was on an United Air Line flight that had Directv . The problem that they charged you $7.97. As a Directv customer there has to be an option that if you a Directv customer I think one should not have to pay the viewing charge on UAL?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    There doesn't have to be any such option. It's entirely United's call, anyway.

3. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    Just another Revenue Stream for UAL.

4. ttodd1

ttodd1 AllStar

Oct 28, 2007
    Why would you think that?

5. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It's the same as the cruddy wifi that some provide.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I might agree with you if you said you were a 100,000 miles a year flier on UAL. They should give you the discount, not DirecTV.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Fly JetBlue, DIRECTV is free.

8. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Delta has Dish free on some flights. I think they may charge or start to in coach.

9. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    If you're a 100,000-mile-a-year flyer on United, you'll end up being automatically upgraded to first class on many domestic flights -- and DirecTV is free in first class.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I think not. As another poster has mentioned it's United's call. Personally I read books on my iPod Touch when flying...

My beef is the $25 baggage fee on most airlines. I feel they should check the bags free and charge you for the carry-on. That would reduce the number of people stuffing oversize luggage into the overhead bins.

11. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    The fee goes to United, not to DirecTV (well, I guess part of it does but not directly). Can you imagine how complicated it would be to put into place a system to verify that? The costs for everyone else would go through the roof.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm guessing there is a cost UAL has to pay for programming and to install the equipment on their planes. Your home monthly bill doesn't contribute or cover that cost (nor should it). This is why I fly with my iPad with nomad.

13. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Yes, as I understand it, a major portion of the DirecTV fee actually goes to the company LiveTV, which installed and maintains the equipment.

14. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue Godfather

Apr 29, 2011
    100% on the airlines. It costs a pretty penny to retrofit those planes and they want to recoup those costs. Now, they certainly could choose to be like JetBlue and add a few dollars to the ticket and provide it for "free", or they can charge per usage.

The only way to do what you suggest would be for a customer to somehow enter their account number, have it ping against the DTV billing system in flight (possible with wifi), then have it clear that seat for DTV usage. That sounds like a lot of work, money, etc that probably isn't worth the ROI.