1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV App for Android v2.2.1 - Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Stuart Sweet, May 17, 2012.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Stuart! Just set up a recording, working fine

3. bman3333

bman3333 Mentor

Jun 9, 2010
    Why can't they get the Hide SD Channels setting to work? I have it selected, but the SD channels still show in the guide!

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I just checked this and my SD channels don't seem to appear in the Channel Guide if the box is checked in Settings to hide them. I have them also set to hide ont he individual devices as well. :shrug:

5. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    After updating try clearing cache and data from settings/apps for the D* app. That has solved lots of update weirdness for me on other apps.

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I would love for anyone from DIRECTV to explain why the app needs the permission to Automatically Start at Boot.

This permission was added in the previous release when DIRECTV Everywhere was introduced, but the previous versions of the app worked just fine without needing to start at boot.

Too many apps are adding permissions without even a simple explanation in the description ...

7. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I got contacted on this via my phone and downloaded, worked as advertised.

8. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    To test a concern over the update I booted my SGII several times. The app doesn't start at boot up. So no big deal.

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I used this app yesterday to schedule recordings of Hatfields & McCoys, Part 1&2 and also Part 3&4. For both recordings I chose the later showings at 11:01 PM to avoid any potential conflicts. However, neither recording showed up in the to do list. This morning, upon noticing that the recordings did not schedule, I went back into the app and set them up again, thins time changing it from "if possible" to "definitely". That worked, sort of. Both recordings were set up, but not at the 11:01 PM time listed in the app, but at 9:00, thereby cancelling other recordings that were at that time slot.

I am not sure if this is a failing of the app or my receiver.

10. bman3333

bman3333 Mentor

Jun 9, 2010
    I should clarify - when I select Browse by Channel, the SD Channels are not shown. When I select Browse by Date & Time, the duplicate SD Channels show in the guide, regardless if you select Hide SD Channels in the settings, and after clearing cache and data.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ditto.

HTC Incredible
    Cyanogen Mod 7.2 RC2
    Android Version 2.3.7

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks for that added clarification.

That indeed seems to be the common experience.

13. Relativity

Relativity AllStar

May 28, 2011
    get a short amount of video, then "Error in media player" OK message. Using Android Froyo release (2.2?) Wifi only.

14. gmac

gmac AllStar

Nov 14, 2007
    working fine

15. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Watched about 6 minutes of the movie "Paul" on my Razr Maxx running Android 2.3.6 (Verizon). No problems with choppy video and audio like the last version. Connected via WiFi. I'll need to try it sometime when I'm on 3G or 4G to check performance.

16. larry976

larry976 Cool Member

Jan 1, 2007
    This app does not allow additional padding when recording on a HR-34. It says HR-34 does not support the feature.
    But I can do it just find when directly recording on my HR-34. This feature comes in very handy when recording a sporting event.

17. michaelancaster

michaelancaster Legend

Jul 7, 2007
    Still can't watch shows/movies on a Xoom (ICS), but you can watch the trailers.

18. Holydoc

Holydoc Legend

Feb 17, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    To temporarily get around this problem, record the show directly following your sporting event as well. That way you get the padding by default.

19. JamesTPDI

JamesTPDI Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    Why does this app need to know Phone state and identity? If installed, this application has access to my cell phone number, phone serial number, if a call is active and even the number the call is connected to. The application is also newly allowed to automatically start at boot so it is always running and sharing (?) phone data. Not to mention slowing the phone down.

20. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Because the app now streams video. Without detecting phone state, when you get a call the video AND audio would continue to play. Identity comes along with the phone state permission.
    Only it doesn't run non-stop. Go check your running processes, if you haven't used the app recently it won't be there. My guess? Some type of an update check. App update, program info, who knows really. I can tell you, there is no constantly running process on my phone.