1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.3.x: Issues/Discussion only (No Jailbreak Talk)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Stuart Sweet, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1 of 236
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is the official thread for issues and discussion of iPad App 1.3.x.

Please refrain from discussing philosophical issues, for example anything having to do with jailbreaking.

Keeping this thread on topic will help the developers improve the product.

DIRECTV App for iPad Walkthough

2. Oct 27, 2011 #2 of 236
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've thoroughly tested this app with my network and iPad 1. Great!! It has worked nearly perfect every time I use it.

for info, my network is all wireless 802.11n and my internet speed is 12Mbit...

3. Oct 27, 2011 #3 of 236
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Updated the app to 1.3.1 yesterday. No problems with the update itself.

Really nice job on the live TV streaming!

The following bugs/issues have still not been corrected (can we PLEASE fix #2):

Does not take advantage of iOS multitasking (starts from scratch whenever you leave the app and then return).
    No way to dismiss the detail dialog in guide list view mode.
    Data listed in the sports tab for many sports (golf and NASCAR in particular but I have honestly not checked them all) is incorrect/incomplete. Completed in particular seems to have issues.
    In the movies tab, Browse Movies/What's on Now does not list all the movies currently playing "now".
    Search results are inconsistent at best and just wrong many times.

Some of these problems are clearly issues with the back end data feeds and not the app itself but it still causes the app to be less than functional.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #4 of 236
    tivoboy

tivoboy Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    App sure works nicely and the quality is great. Great little option for a second tv in the weight room.

5. Oct 27, 2011 #5 of 236
    lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    I was excited to see the new version.
    But after playing with it a little bit yesterday, I realized that the live streaming is not something I will make much use of.

I rarely watch anything in real time. Even sporting events, I mostly watch 30 or 60 minutes or more into the game, and 30Skip through commercials, timeouts, catcher's visits to the mound and icing calls.

The broadcasts I do watch live are mostly local news, and the local channels aren't streaming yet.

Don't get me wrong--I think this is a great addition to the growing supply of DirecTV features and toys. It's just not filling a useful role for me, at this point.

Now, add all the "channels I get" and all the recordings on my various Playlists, and the feature would be a gem.

6. Oct 27, 2011 #6 of 236
    KenW

KenW Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I had mentioned earlier that I was having trouble with the app when I was not on my home network. Everything seems to be working fine today. Must have been some install glitch, or first day stress to the DirecTV servers.

7. Oct 27, 2011 #7 of 236
    markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
  8. Oct 27, 2011 #8 of 236
    willmw

willmw Mentor

Aug 31, 2011
    Are you saying the app works (including live streaming) when you are not on your home network?

9. Oct 27, 2011 #9 of 236
    fthomasr

fthomasr Mentor

Mar 8, 2008
    Love the app.

But, the volume is too low! I have the volume all the way up and with it right in front of me I can't here it if there is any kind of ambient noise around. Kitchen at dinner? Nope. Inches from my plate, propped up right in front of me I can't hear it.

10. Oct 27, 2011 #10 of 236
    Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    Believe it's a matter of having two networks at home.

Wish it did work away from home. Maybe some day.

11. Oct 27, 2011 #11 of 236
    woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I'm still banging my drum.

Where is the love for OS X?

12. Oct 28, 2011 #12 of 236
    KenW

KenW Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    The app works, streaming does not. I use it when I travel to add shows to be recorded. I hear about things that sound interesting while I'm at work.

When I first installed, it was hanging on every screen.

13. Oct 28, 2011 #13 of 236
    todd.scallions

todd.scallions New Member

Nov 20, 2007

I know what you are talking about. I opened up the app to check the Guide to see when something was coming on and the app just hung on the first screen. It seems as if it is trying to connect to the receiver (which isn't going to happen at work) and there is no time out built in. It just sits there looking for them.

This was NOT an issue before the latest update as it would eventually time out and state that it could not locate my receivers.

14. Oct 28, 2011 #14 of 236
    poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    It still times out in about 15 seconds for me.

15. Oct 28, 2011 #15 of 236
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    What prevents the LIL's from being available? I mean this is neat, and works great, but 80% of what we watch are LIL's.

I assume it is the networks restricting it but why does it matter if you watch their programming live on your TV set or live while sitting on the throne?

You can't leave the house with it so I don't understand the restriction.

16. Oct 28, 2011 #16 of 236
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that it has more to do with signing or modifying the contracts for thousands of local stations for carriage. That's a lot of time.

17. Oct 28, 2011 #17 of 236
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It would take a lot of servers for DirecTV to be able to provide each local channel to their respective customers. And I don't think the local affiliates would care too much for you being able to stream the DNS stations. I don't know if we will ever see ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox included in this.

18. Oct 28, 2011 #18 of 236
    mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Don't know if this was mentioned in the earlier thread, but the new Bloomberg iPad app also streams a live version of their channel, and you can watch it everywhere - you don't have to be on your home network connected to your DVR. Video quality is quite good.

19. Oct 28, 2011 #19 of 236
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, CNN also streams live through their app. I know that it would be great to have the intra-LAN restriction lifted, and it's not completely off the table... but there's a lot of discussion that would need to be had first.

20. Oct 28, 2011 #20 of 236
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I guess that makes sense when you think about it. For some reason my mind erroneously thought it came from my DirecTV connection so whatever I had on my TV I could stream. I should have known this is basically VOD but with current programming.

For me it's pretty useless as most of what we watch is LIL. It's "cool" for sure but mostly useless without LIL. Now if we could stream FROM a local playlist at least we could do the "record & watch" thing to get LIL's but if we could stream from a playlist we probably could just as easily stream from live TV.