1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIRECTV app for iPad for commercial customers too

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Scott Kocourek, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    From the Solid Signal Blog:
    See the whole review here: http://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/1744-DIRECTV-app-for-iPad-Now-for-Commercial-Customers-too?utm_campaign=GAN&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=k244266

2. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, saw that last night, nice features for commercial folks.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I like the look of having all your receivers show what they're doing on one screen as shown in the write up. Can/will this work for a residential customer?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes it will. Follow the instructions to put the app into Commercial Mode. However as a commercial customer you lose playlist access, pay per view, remote scheduling, live streaming... none of those are available to commercial customers. However, it's easy to switch back and forth from what it looks like.

5. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Thanks! I'll try it out.

6. flynn451

flynn451 New Member

May 25, 2007
    Unless you have a directv.com login, there is currently no way to even get in to the application, let alone being able to switch it to Commercial Mode. Currently, DirecTV commercial customers can not create a directv.com login; hopefully, this is about to change.

We have had a DirecTV Private Office account for over 10 years now. Frankly, it's getting a little old constantly taking a back seat to DirecTV's residential customers. Maybe "back seat" isn't quite accurate, it really feels more like the trunk. There are a number of areas where our options lag significantly behind those of residential users. Stuart already mentioned several, but there are others including: some channels are unavailable for purchase, no MRV (Genie) availability (though it worked fine throughout the building during the brief CE beta), extremely limited On Demand programming availability, no online account management (inexcusable in 2013), no HBO Go with our Entertainment Unlimited package (or any similar programming options requiring DirecTV account authentication), etc. Of course, I recognize that some of these restrictions are mandated by programming providers, but not all.

Overall, we're still happier with DirecTV than we were with Cable. I'm encouraged by the release notes on this version of DirecTV's iPad app and I sincerely hope that it's a sign that DirecTV is moving towards trying to make commercial customer services more on par with residential customer services.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, commercial accounts will be enabled very soon.

8. flynn451

flynn451 New Member

May 25, 2007
    Any idea if this will happen sometime in May? As of today, it's still residential accounts only.

9. flynn451

flynn451 New Member

May 25, 2007
    It's a good thing that I didn't hold my breath for DirecTV to enable commercial account online registration as this still hasn't happened. I find it interesting that two months after its "commercial customer" release, we continue to be locked out from creating an online account (a requirement to use the iPad app). If anyone has found a way around this, please let me know.