1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

directv at my shop

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by nickh, Jul 18, 2012.

1. nickh

nickh New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    hi i'm new to directv, formerly a dish customer, i had dtv installed at my house and got an extra d12-100 receiver and used 18x20 dish with 3lnb. but when i installed them at my shop i've got no signal at all, thought the dish was blocked so i moved it up the hill it has a very clear shot to the south and still nothing so i thought the distance was too far, but when i took the receiver to the dish, still nothing, is the dish bad? the receiver works fine at home with my slimeline 5 dish, but when i changed it to the other dish type i got nothing, please help.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You need to search around a little for the satellite, it may take adjusting the dish several degrees either direction from the starting point. Also, with that particular dish you have, you start by aiming at 110, not 101.

The other possible issue is your D12 is set for SWM and the other dish is not SWM, you need the "multiswitch" option in dish setup.

I assume your shop is at the same address as your home - terms of service issue.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    :welcome_s nickh!

Please tell me you have a commercial account for your shop? At least tell me that the TV isn't in a public area...

DIRECTV is really cracking down on people who share their residential service in their workplaces. It's a copyright thing and DIRECTV could get in even more trouble than you would. I know someone this happened to and the costs to make it right... not pretty.

4. RobTabor

RobTabor New Member

Jul 16, 2012
    X2 and Welcome to the site :D

5. nickh

nickh New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    hi guys thanks for the replies, and i guess i should say that its not a commercial account but that the tv is in a private area. Carl in aswere to your thoughts yes i did change the settings to multi switch with a 18x20 dish 3lnb, and swiveled the dish all over the place and got nothing for a signal, and no the shop is not next to my house its about 12 miles away, but i thought that people take them camping all the time, how is this any different than that?

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    In this case, you will have simultaneous permanent service at two locations, a specific violation of your terms of service. Camping or tailgating are very short term temporary situations.

These forums do not permit discussion in support of violations of terms of service.

7. nickh

nickh New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    maybe i should just forget the whole thing then, thanks anyways

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You said the extra dish is the 18x20 oval with three LNBs. This ounds like it is the older Phase III dish which only receives signals from the 101, 110, and 119 sats. You need to align this dish to 110. Make sure the mast is plumb and the skew is set correctly. Then set the elevation and finally move it in azimuth until you get a signal.

9. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    Enlighten me about the commercial premise / copyright issues.
    Why would it apply in a commercial setting but not resid ?

While not DTV related, I've always been noticed the channel listings for FIOS or Time Warner commercial video service was *different* that the normal residential lineup

10. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Look at the back of any dvd and when you start it up " Home viewing ONLY" like the Day Care's that want to show Disney movies. That's a no..no. Same thing with DirecTV (and Dish) service. 12 miles is nothing. Same thing if I have a house in Atlanta and Orlando.

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Pretty much if it is a business building and you are letting customers/employees see the tv then it is supposed to be a commercial account.

Also you are not supposed to have receivers from the same account active at more than one location at a time. Directv pretty much ignores this in the case of tailgating because they know it is a short term/temporary setup. RVs are a bit trickier but they usually let them slide too if you are only in them part time, otherwise they want you to have a seperate RV account that has differrent rules.