1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv bad installation -- do they really care?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by socalwinegirl, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 3, 2008 #1 of 11
    socalwinegirl

socalwinegirl Cool Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I had a terrible experience getting my new hd dish installed. On the third appt. someone finally showed up. After over 3 hours he told us the new dvr was hooked up and the old dvr was now hooked up to the bedroom tv. He said everything was working. Well not 2 minutes after he left we discovered that neither tv was getting reception. The main tv had no sound and the remote didn't work. After 30 minutes on the phone with Directv tech support they said I needed the installer to come back out. I phoned Ironwood Communications and they tried to call the installer but he didn't answer the phone. They said a supervisor would call me back-- well that was on Monday. Nobody has bothered to phone me back as of yet. As far as they are concerned I have NO television, but they don't seem to be too worried about it. My husband figured out the installer failed to install the hdmi cable and he also had some of the cables crossed so we were able to correct the problem. Cables for the bedroom tv were backwards too. I cannot believe that Ironwood has never even bothered to phone me back to correct this.

I simply cannot fathom the terrible customer service I've been given by both Directv and Ironwood. After three promises for a credit on my bill for all these problems the fourth guy "promised" the credit would show up. They put the credits on, but somehow they later fall off. There are no supervisors or people to escalate the problems too. I just don't get it. How do they get away with this. You'd think if Ironwood was under the impression neither of my tvs were working that they'd call right away or send some back out. What is going on? It's boggling my mind the complete disregard for customer satisfaction. Is there anyone out there at Directv who actually cares? They all act sorry, but I can feel my complaints are falling on deaf ears. I'm so angry.

2. Jan 3, 2008 #2 of 11
    Rube79

Rube79 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2007
    1. Dont believe the word of someone before you sign a 2 year agreement or any type of contract. Basically, by signing his documents you agreed that everything is working, you have an understanding of the system and your satisfied.
    2. Dont let up!! More than likely that company was charged back for the install and dont want anything to do with you. So press the issue with directv to have someone come out, not the home service provider (hsp). You have a 3 month labor guarentee from directy for any upgrade/install.

good luck :)

3. Jan 3, 2008 #3 of 11
    socalwinegirl

socalwinegirl Cool Member

Jan 2, 2008
    thanks Rube. I feel like a dummy that I signed the paper. The kid was here for 3.5 hrs and I know he had two more installs. It was almost 3pm and I felt bad for him-- so I didn't want to keep him here. I guess it's party my fault for not keeping him here and MAKING him show me how everything worked. It's weird because when he pressed the remote the menu did come up, but as soon as he left-- the remote would not work at all. I mean Nada--zip-- nothing. It wasn't until my husband put the hdmi cable on that things started to sorta work.)

Next time I'll be more savvy I guess and make sure I see for myself that all is well. So much for being "nice."

Thanks for the reply.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #4 of 11
    zmurphy

zmurphy Cool Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Thats his problem not yours! i have been an electronics installer (not directv or Dish) for alot of years. It the technician/Directv's problem, not the customers.
    I had my new Directv system installed a couple of weeks ago and i had the technician walk around to each tv and demonstrate that it works and that i got all the channels/services i supposed to get before i signed anything.

Unfortunately there are some people/installers out there that don't care about their quality of work, they just want a job. I do hope that you'll have a better experience w/ Directv's customer service and they get you straightened out.

Good luck!

5. Jan 3, 2008 #5 of 11
    K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Well gee, winegirl, I wonder what kind of job he did aligning your dish? Press the "Menu" button on your remote for an HD receiver. Go to: HELP & SETTINGS > SETUP > SATELLITE > VIEW SIGNAL STRENGTH. Wait patiently for the different satellite transponder numbers to fill in for the 101 satellites. Then you can use the "Select" button to cycle through the other 5 satellites. Some take a while to fill in the grid. You should get signal strengths of mostly all high 80's and 90's on the 101, 110, 119, and 103(b) satellites, with a few exceptions on the 101's and the 119. You can disregard for the time being the readings on the 99(b) and 103(a) satellites as they are spot beams carrying HD local stations. How'd he do?

Welcome to DBSTalk.com!

6. Jan 4, 2008 #6 of 11
    doubleatheman

doubleatheman AllStar

Dec 28, 2007

IronWood eh? those are the same local guys im really unhappy with. Unless Ironwood is larget than I think.

7. Jan 4, 2008 #7 of 11
    gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Call up DirecTV and ask for Case Management Group who will then open up a ticket and get their best person in to get things right. The ticket stays open until the Case Management rep contacts you after the fact to ensure that the job is done to your satisfaction.

I had installers out 4 times following my install upgrade to HD which required a new dish to replace my old dish from 1994. Each time, the guy blew the alignment and gave a story like the HD channels were actually coming from another satellite or that the signal strengths of 35% are normal for 103(c), etc. Case Management got the best guy out here to come down from Oxnard to Thousand Oaks to set me up and he did in the first try. Since then, everything has been 99% perfect. I get a pixellation once in a great while but I think that is more a DirecTV issue than an install.

It turns out that these Ironwood installers are just plain bad. They need to be re-trained. Go with the Case Management Group.

8. Jan 5, 2008 #8 of 11
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    I wish that you would have known about this forum and the Installation Guide.

All of this could have been avoided....

From the HD DVR FAQ:

What do I need to know about HD DVR ordering and installation?
    Ordering Tips
    Installation Guide

The Installation Guide really can save the day.

The same concepts work equally well any time you are having a contractor do work for you at your house.

- Craig

9. Jan 5, 2008 #9 of 11
    cantrellswire

cantrellswire Mentor

Jan 4, 2008
    As an installer I am sorry for your bad experience. Rest assured, after your technical issues are resolved I fully believe you are getting the best television service out there (Not Customer Service). I work for a sub company and I know how little they care. It doesn't cost them anything to lose you as a customer so what benefit is it to them to send someone out. Good luck to you.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Just FYI, Ironwood is a national company with many regional offices, and are the HSP in many areas. Every area has at least one HSP, or Home Service Provider, which is DirecTV's primary service contractor in that area. The HSP will run the in-house techs (the ones in the DirecTV vans) and hire the subcontractors. They also handle the vast majority of the service calls (i.e., problems).

Unfortunately, DirecTV's HSP program is a big part of the problem. The HSPs don't pay their in-house installers enough to stay very long, but they continuously screw over their subcontractors (who do most of the real work) because they can't allow the subs to grow big enough to be a threat to them. Most subs lose thousands of dollars every month for various BS reasons, and get little to no support from the HSP, so they quickly learn that it doesn't pay to go the extra mile, especially given their pay rate.

All in all, installation is a HUGE mess for DirecTV everywhere. The high costs and low prices have driven away most of the better installers, and the ones that are left get shafted constantly by the HSP they work for.

IMO, DirecTV needs to get rid of their HSPs and hire and run the subs directly. This would fix most of the problem quickly, but DirecTV so far doesn't want to have to deal with the day-to-day hassle, and prefers to farm it out to the HSPs. And, because of their better product, they get in enough installs that it doesn't seem to matter that a good percentage of them go so badly.

As others have advised, there ARE independent installers who can get most any installation done, but you'll have to pay real labor rates for them. Or, as some here do, you can do the tough parts yourself. The folks here can give you any technical help you might need.

11. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Sorry for your bad install. As an electronics tech and dish installer I believe it is my job to make sure all equipment is working before I leave. All techs or installers should do this. There are many problems with the way dish and direct treat/pay and train their installers. The call takers dont know how to schedual so the installer ends up with 15hrs of work to complete in one day. IMO 3 installs per day per installer should be the max. Our company dosent get dispached by dish. My office knows no more than 2 per day 3 to 4 hrs per install ( I do more than dish installs). My jobs are done right the first time. No callbacks. When dish and direct learn to train the installers to be more like techs,have pay rates closer to an electricians pay rate, and not to overbook they will get pro installs. Untill then there will be more hacks than pros. I hope they are reading this and I hope you keep calling them and get you issue resolved

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.