1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Bandwidth Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mrfatboy, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 1, 2007 #1 of 15
    mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I am curious how Directv allocates bandwidth per channel. Some channels seem to have better picture quality than others.

1) Does every channel have equal bandwidth allocated to it?

2) Does the channel/network pay more to get more bandwidth?

3) Does/Can directv change their allocation of bandwidth during the day on a perticular channel?

4) What is the total bandwidth that Directv puts out?

5) Does anybody have a list or know where to get a list that has the channels with their associated bandwidth allocations?

thanks

2. Mar 1, 2007 #2 of 15
    jpeckinp

jpeckinp Legend

Nov 5, 2006
    1. NO
    2. The networks don't pay. D* pays the networks for their feeds. But I guess the network could offer to pay for more bandwidth.
    3. Yes and they do.
    4. 30MB/ transponder on Mpeg2 not sure on Mpeg4
    5. refer to # 3. it changes all the time

3. Mar 1, 2007 #3 of 15
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    In my experience the pay channels generally have the best video quality and get the most bandwidth. Starting with the highest bandwidth, I think the bandwidth allocations go something like ....

* HDTV MPEG2 channels
    * HDTV MPEG4 channels
    * Pay-per-view SD channels
    * Paid movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.)
    * "Regular" SD satellite channels
    * Sports channels
    * Local SD channels

4. Mar 1, 2007 #4 of 15
    mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    You would think there would be some mechanism in place for a Network to make sure that their content would be displayed in the best possible quality relative to other networks. Where it be rebates to Directv or kickbacks :) For example, I would think ABC would be pissed that CBS looks better.

5. Mar 1, 2007 #5 of 15
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is clearly not the case with DirecTV. According to the DFW bitrate monitor, HBO gets more bandwidth than SHO at about 9.5 while SHO averages about 8.5. By way of comparison, ESPN (720p) gets about 14, HDNet (1280x1080i) is about 13 and HDNet Movies (1280x1080i) gets an abysmal 7.5-8.

According to a chart on the site, the bitrate for 1080i should be more than 13 and the bitrate for 720p should be more than 12. Note that a scaled program doesn't compress as well as an unscaled program due to scaling artifacts, so reductions due to the disposal of 25% of the picture don't yield 25% reduction in bandwidth requirement.

Hence the label HDLite.

6. Mar 1, 2007 #6 of 15
    ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006

Interesting, but OLD info (over a year) - and I wonder if there is any available that is more current - would like to see if any changes.

7. Mar 1, 2007 #7 of 15
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You only get out of it what you put into it and nobody in the big four works as hard as CBS at HD PQ. Such is not to say that you won't find problems. The Grammy Awards ceremony comes to mind. Several times, it was obvious that the compressors couldn't keep up with the motion and flashing lights.

8. Mar 1, 2007 #8 of 15
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Agreed. There are certainly differences between the various HiDef channels, especially comparing MPEG2 compression (your data) with MPEG4 compression. So I just lumped all of the HiDef channels into "MPEG2" and "MPEG4" buckets to generally compare various channels, both HiDef and standard definition.

9. Mar 1, 2007 #9 of 15
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Some of the data was updated within the last couple months. It would nice if they would sample more frequently, but I would guess that any results would be a shifting from one channel to the next and back. I suspect that the status of these channels will not change as long as Ku band receivers are supported.

10. murph3699

murph3699 New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Does having a redundant HBO-HD (70 & 509) in the channel lineup take away from another potential HD channel?

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As there aren't any MPEG4 compressed nationals yet, we'll have to wait and see how it goes. HD LIL (MPEG4) is conspicuously absent from the DFW bitrate monitor.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's just an instance of channel mapping, isn't it?

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes. The two channels are really one data stream with the receivers being told that two channels exist for that stream.

Challenges and cheers,
    Tom

14. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    They use a process called 'Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation' where the actual mpeg streams on a given transponder are analyzed to determine the 'best' distribution of the available bandwidth on that transponder at that moment.

For a good overview of how this process works, follow this link:

http://www.hei.ca/mpeg2f.html

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    While your response is strictly for HD channels the OP wasn't asking that, it was more of a general question, since it's in the general forum.

I don't know if the PPV's and/or premiums get more bandwidth or not but since they're usually showing only 24FPS material it could just be there's less data to have to encode and send out so it looks better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.