1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV Cable Box D12 100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by philpense, Mar 3, 2013.

1. philpense

philpense New Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Would like to connect the DirecTV D12 100 box to a digital to analog box. I see no way to do this without affecting the current setup.

Additionally, I would ask about the USB port on the satellite cable box. How can this be used to enhance the user experience. Much thanks in advance for an informed reply.

2. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    To add the digital-to-analog converter to your setup, you need to place it between your over-the-air antenna and your Directv receiver:

antenna----->(ANT IN)converter(TO TV)----->(OFF AIR IN)Directv receiver(OUT TO TV)----->TV

This will not integrate your antenna channels into your Directv guide; you will have to use the converter's remote in order to tune those channels.

As far as the USB port, it will power a laptop fan, but I never noticed that the D12 got so hot that it needed cooling. The only other use of the USB port is for serial control for changing channels on a Home Theater Personal Computer(HTPC) instead of an IR Blaster:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_(STB)_via_USB_or_Serial

3. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You can also use the usb port to charge any usb device.