1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv can insert local commercials into national channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DJ Rob, Sep 17, 2011.

1. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    I noticed on CNN HD this week that Directv is able to insert local commercials for retailers here in the Denver area during some breaks. I'm not sure if this is a test or something that's been happening for a while that I just never noticed. I wonder if they are doing this via spotbeams or if there's some kind of new tech happening with our DVRs. It was on my HR24-100 running the latest CE with the HDGUI.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    May be CE include that last time, but the tests are ongoing last week or more - ask Doctor J and gct for historical data of such tests.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I believe a while back they said they where going to start pushing local commercials to dvrs that could be inserted into commercial breaks like cable companies do to increase their advertising dollars. It's only 25 channels in 25 markets right now as they test it out, more latter.

4. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Man, I am not looking forward to when this goes nationwide. One of the best things about DirecTV in this town is that if I have to watch a commercial, it's not a local commercial from Fargo. Our local commercials SUCK. They are so poorly produced they look like they were made with an old VHS camcorder and mspaint graphics. And they all use the same voiceover guy. Just makes me wanna tear my hair out when I cant fast forward past those pieces of crap. Thank god the only time that happens is during live sports.

5. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    They have been doing that for years.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Geez, they're just commercials. I'd hate to see how you feel about serious things. ;)

7. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Beats the Hell out of Deon Sanders over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over.

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Who cares? The major reason I have DVR's is to skip commercials.

Now, if they somehow disable the SKIP/SLIP button during certain commercials it will be bye-bye DirecTV hello DISH!!

9. Sward81333

Sward81333 New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I fear the unskippable commercials on your DVR are just around the corner. Just as when you watch a show online, there are commercials you cannot escape. And if DirecTV starts, Dish and your local cable companies will soon follow. This will be a goldmine for the suppliers and the advertisers. :nono:

10. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Just means people who hate commercials will go back to other means of content delivery that are of questionable legality.

Either that or find a way to hack the DVR to restore functionality.

11. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I know they've been inserting their commercials on national channels for years, but this sounds different since he said it was for local Denver retailers.

DIRECTV has said they are going to start doing local ad insertaion in the 4th quarter on 25 channels in 25 markets with HD DVR's. Then in 2012 expand to 50 channels in 50 markets and also enable SD DVR's for that capability. As someone mentioned, doesn't bother me as long as I'm still able to skip through them.

12. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Well, the thing is, every cable channel allocates a few slots for cable providers to slip in local ads. Since everything is national with DirecTV, they cant really do that, and so we get DirecTV ads over and over and over.

13. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    But DIRECTV has said they will start doing exactly that. They will push the local ads into their reserved space on the DVR's hard drive and then signal the box when and which ad should be played. Yes, I agree that they can't do that today but they will start by the end of the year.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    My assumption would be that these local commercial spot's files are simply copied over from the HDD's reserved space into the user's space live buffer or recording stream at the appropriate times as the program is being received. Otherwise I don't see how FF, REW, or other trick play would not be affected by this.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I get a kick out of local cheesy commercials. Love listening to college sports from places like Iowa on XM and hear the local corn feed commercials.

Commercials around here are too slick. Except for the semi-cheesy Jack Says Yes! commercials.

Local commercials beats the 500th time I have seen the same DirecTV commercial.

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The RSN channels do have local ad's + spots that Directv fills in.

17. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Interrupted only by ads for mesothelioma lawsuits and gold coins...

18. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    Just a question out of curiosity.

Should the dvr local ad concept get full deployment, would that open the door to eliminating blackouts on premium sports packages?

I ask this because I understand that most blackouts are because of local adverts, which is usually the case where one would watch the local RSN. Say for example, I'm in L.A. and have MLB EI, and I want to watch the Angels vs. Yankees on the YES Network feed but with L.A. based local ads as conceived on the D* DVR. Would that become a suddenly new possibility?

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I don't think the inability to broadcast local advertisements are the cause of blackout restrictions, but that of trying to protect ticket sales at the home gate or contractual rights to a broadcast by other entities.

20. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    Years back I was a C-band subscriber. When I left that technology and went with Directv, the first thing I noticed was the ads were very much NOT the same as what I had seen before. I didn't think that this happened overnight, but was probably going on for some time. I just wasn't seeing it until I changed providers. So if the ads are different with provider choice, seeing a local ad on cable channels would not surprise me one bit.