1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Directv Cancel Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Brandon428, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    I'm canceling Directv next Wednesday and I am paying 150 ETF. I was wondering if I would upgrade to the Premier pack right now would I have to pay extra to cancel or pay the bill for this month?

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish. Free Premier for a week?

3. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah,lol. Theres nothing on. Why not if it'll be free.

4. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Yes they would charge you for the Premium Package for however much time you have between now and when your cancellation takes effect, plus they'd probably charge you the $10 premium disconnect also.

All this on top of the $150 disconnect - oh, don't forget to return the receivers, or else you're going to get hit with a hefty non-returned equipment fee. :)

5. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Thanks.

6. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If you disconnect a premium movie package within 30 days of activation, you'll be charged a $10 termination fee. Makes sense to me.

7. pilot305

pilot305 AllStar

Oct 10, 2005
    Curious, I have about 15 months left on my 2-year contract (one HD-DVR & one SD-DVR) i was wondering what i would have to pay if i cancelled my account (seperation going on personally, long story for another time). I think its like $20/month for every month left on the contract?? I'm not sure. I'm thinking about looking into local Time Warner Cable since i already have internet through them. Maybe i can get a bundled deal.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yup, but check the cable pricing first. they charge differently for DVRs.

9. pilot305

pilot305 AllStar

Oct 10, 2005
    Is that $20/month left per receiver or $20/month left per contract??

10. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It's for the contract. You never have more than 24 months. If you add a HD DVR with 10 months left on a contract, your contract is extended an additional 14 months so that it expires 24 months from the date that receiver was added.

11. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    It's Ok to think about TWC, just don't actually get it. I had TWC digital cable and a DVR, it was the worst 5 days of my TV viewing life... No joke I returned their DVR and a seperate digital box to them before 7 days so I would not owe them anything.
    My experience was horrible. My house never had cable ran to it before. They put it in and the picture would pixelate, the sound would stutter, it was horrible. I called Tech support, they said it wasn't getting a good signal, they would send a guy to install an "amp" well the guy came, was the same guy that installed it. He disconnected the wires from the splitters, put new ends on them, new ends at the receivers and left. The problems were still there, I called back and told them I'd be out with my equipment.
    I called D* back and unsuspended my account, ran the wires back to my multi switch and hooked up my DVRs and have never even considered leaving D* since.

12. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Is there anyway I can get out of my contract without paying the full 150 or perhaps less.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I highly doubt it. You can suspend your account for up to six months (I believe), and I think you can suspend it twice in a year. Perhaps if you suspended it that would give you sufficient time to reorganize to the point that you could use it again. Also, you do not need to keep the same programming package you currently have, you can downgrade to the lowest package and still satisfy the service committment.

14. cgking114

cgking114 Mentor

Mar 5, 2007

Actually you can only suspend your account once a year and for no longer than 6 months.

15. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I had TWC and had a similar issue when I upgraded to digital cable with an HD DVR. It ended up being a problem at the distribution box and once they fixed that it was fine. I really thought the HD picture with cable was fine, just not enough HD channels. Now they are catching up, but still don't have the sports HD that I desire. If it saves the OP money, I would go with the suggestion to suspend D* for 6 mo and get cable.