1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DirecTV CEO Vows To Resist Cable Concentration, And High Charges For Weather Channel And Dodgers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mark Holtz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From Deadline:

DirecTV CEO Vows To Resist Cable Concentration, And High Charges For Weather Channel And Dodgers
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Mr. Holtz, You've always been an avid follower of DIRECTV. I personally listened to the whole call and I think that Deadline Hollywood made a long story out of a very short moment in the event. DIRECTV CEO Mike White actually seemed very quick to dismiss the whole question. I think that article quotes every single word that was said in the exchange, which lasted less than a minute.

2 people like this.
  3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    To be fair, I was looking for the latest Weather Channel/DirecTV articles. Unfortunately, I only can quote a small portion and link to the full article. :(

4. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    If the Comcast-TW merger goes through, a Directv-Dish hookup becomes much more likely, just to stay competitive. Does the gov't want that much consolidation in the industry?

5. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I figure the government doesn't give a *s*. I don't tend to get into any politics here. I don't want to. But the one thing I will say, and it has nothing to do with any perception of the political parties, is that I'm of the belief that the country was bought and sold however long ago. If the Comcast/Time-Warner Cable deal doesn't go through, it's because the money wasn't influential enough.

6. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Some would argue the opposite. Merging Comcast and TWC still leaves 99% of areas with one cable company since so few overlap. Which means most places have 2 satellite companies and one cable company to provide competition. If they are lucky, they also get to choose between a Telco (Uverse or FIOS). If DIRECTV and DISH merge, that removes a true competitor, where those markets with 3 options goes down to 2.

2 people like this.
  7. jeret

jeret Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
  8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    This is a potent little paragraph:

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The reason he didn't come out against it before was because he was apparently in talks hoping to merge with Directv. Now that everyone else is finding dance partners and he's left standing by himself he's crying foul.

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Mebbe so, but I think the points are right on.....No?

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think it is much worse that they let providers own content (like Comcast owning NBC, and various RSNs) than Comcast/TWC merging.

1 person likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I completely agree with that.

2 people like this.
  13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    +1—
    And especially sports teams.