DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV changed my package without telling me

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  RACJ2 
#1 ·
I've been away too long!
If I'm in the wrong forum please let me know where to go? The site has changed allot since I was here last.
Anyway, I took a good look at my bill one day and realized that a CSR had changed my HD Plus package to the one I have now! I did not ask for any help. Just wanted to shut down HBO for a month or two, that's all!
Having had DTV for about 15+ yrs I needed to be locked into that package as I'm now disabled and living on a fixed income. After my 'discounts' expire I will be forced back to cable! Time Warner Cable too!
I always call on the phone to talk to a human and 'usually' mention that I DO NOT WANT MY PACKAGE CHANGED. Someone ignored my request and I got slammed!
I seem to remember others writing to DBStalks and being told to snail mail the execs or a special person or section for such issues.
Can anyone fill me in please? I still have a few months of DTV left before they exceed my entertainment budget and I'm banished to low grade HD and their horrible support.
TIA
tinhead
HR21-700 (still works great!)
Sony Z-4600
NYC

See less See more
#2 ·
eafilipiak@directv.com: Ellen Filipiak, Senior Vice President of Customer Relations

I have also tweeted to good effect.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Before you write to the Presidents of DTV,
Have you called and asked to speak to Customer Retention ?
They can usually fix things like this.
Good luck.

#4 ·
Usually making any changes to a grandfathered package can result is losing your that package. But if this was the case, you should have been informed

#5 ·
jimmie57 said:
They can usually fix things like this.
There aren't many documented cases of grandfathered packages being restored; even for those who were wrongly switched. Some have been "handled" with credits.

Because grandfathering isn't discussed in the various agreements, the ground to argue it on isn't particularly solid.

#6 ·
First before you email anyone I'm guessing that your package is now Choice Xtra Classic. If so this is correct as the Plus packages were removed systemically. They were identicle to the Choice Xtra package they just had HD and/or DVR service in the package. However pricing was the same after the last price increase so it was just removed to remove a redundant package/sku.

#7 ·
Joe Tylman said:
First before you email anyone I'm guessing that your package is now Choice Xtra Classic. If so this is correct as the Plus packages were removed systemically. They were identicle to the Choice Xtra package they just had HD and/or DVR service in the package. However pricing was the same after the last price increase so it was just removed to remove a redundant package/sku.
Me like this.

This is why I think emailing Ellen "just cause" is not a good idea without having the right facts

At some point and time, this method will become useless

#8 ·
peds48 said:
Me like this.

This is why I think emailing Ellen "just cause" is not a good idea without having the right facts

At some point and time, this method will become useless
I am asking because it's an economic issue for me not 'just cause'. I called like I do once or twice a year to cancel HBO for a month or two. I only watch a couple of shows on HBO so when their season ends it doesn't get used. I cancel HBO until the new season starts to save a few bucks! An over zealous CSR took me out of my 'package' despite being told I did not want my package changed! That's my main complaint. I've been slammed into paying more for what I have by deception! Add the facts that I'm disabled (and on heavy meds to boot), on a fixed income and turned 63 which makes me a senior now.
I now have to 'pay' for the things that used to be included in the HD Plus package like HD-DVR receiver fee and HD programming fee. I now pay those 'fees' on top of the Choice Classic Extra. That's $16 a month at least. I have to compare some old bills and my new ones to get an 'exact' figure.
The point is DTV now costs almost as much as cable in my market - NYC.
The difference is I'm on a fixed income and my TV budget is stretched and about to break with DTV because when my 'loyal customer discounts' expire so will my ability to pay over $100 for DTV. Cable would be cheaper by about 25-40% for the same programming, approx.
I think DTV has the best quality picture and would hate to give my Sony TV a degraded Time Warner HD feed. Plus I have had many problems with TWC in the past for both TV and internet signal. Obviously they provide me an ISP too, NYCT.NET.
TWC has horrible support! DTV has good support. I've rarely had a problem with them. Plus it seems that every time I call DTV to turn my HBO on and off I get a loyal customer reward just for calling.
If I can get DTV to return me to the 'costs' I had back then PLUS any increases in service we all have to pay, I'll stay for as long as I can have a dish on my roof and get a good signal! It's not easy to get a satellite signal here in Manhattan and if I move I probably have to give DTV up as well. One bridge at a time.

#9 ·
Plus HD-DVR was $91.99 a month.
Choice Xtra Classic is $71.99 a month.
HD service is $10 a month
DVR service is $10 a month
For a total of $91.99 a month

As Joe said the price did not change. There has been a process in place going back since I believe October of 2012 to get everyone off the Plus DVR and Plus HD-DVR packages, and onto the Choice Xtra Classic with separate HD and DVR services for the same price.

It sounds like you are one of the last people who were migrated over.

#10 ·
Joe Tylman said:
That is exactly what I was going to say. They changed the name for us and to break out and show the HD and DVR fees now versus them all being combined in the one line item.

#11 ·
So you showed him the costs should be identical...I'll go make some popcorn, sit back and watch...

To the OP, if the price isnt changing what is the issue? Is it the package discounts that you rely on to be able to maintain that level of programming? If you cant afford the package without the discounts maybe you should consider a slightly lower package?

#12 ·
CCarncross said:
So you showed him the costs should be identical...I'll go make some popcorn, sit back and watch...

To the OP, if the price isnt changing what is the issue? Is it the package discounts that you rely on to be able to maintain that level of programming? If you cant afford the package without the discounts maybe you should consider a slightly lower package?
Even if he was getting discounts they would still remain. Nothing should have changed except the nomenclature. I'm betting the price increase may be partial charges for HBO.

#13 ·
JBv said:
Even if he was getting discounts they would still remain. Nothing should have changed except the nomenclature. I'm betting the price increase may be partial charges for HBO.
It could be an issue but probably not. The credits that are for the base package are usually named for that specific base package right. I would think if he was getting those credits when the package names did change on us that the credits would of followed. That being said its probably not an issue but I understand where the concern could come from.

#15 ·
tinhead said:
That's my main complaint. I've been slammed into paying more for what I have by deception!
That's a pretty strong statement considering it's not true if your description of the package names is accurate. I had the same package as you did and at some point in the past all of a sudden I didn't and like you the change happened after I called to adjust other programming. As the others have noted you were not deceived and the prices didn't change, only the name of package and the way the numbers are broken down has.

#16 ·
JBv said:
Plus HD-DVR was $91.99 a month.
Choice Xtra Classic is $71.99 a month.
HD service is $10 a month
DVR service is $10 a month
For a total of $91.99 a month

As Joe said the price did not change. There has been a process in place going back since I believe October of 2012 to get everyone off the Plus DVR and Plus HD-DVR packages, and onto the Choice Xtra Classic with separate HD and DVR services for the same price.

It sounds like you are one of the last people who were migrated over.
I still have it. I would change to make it easier for them, but, they have the channels 553, 554 and 555 in separate packages and I would lose 2 of them.

#17 ·
Does anyone know what Choice Extra Classic is? I currently have Choice, i used to have Choice Extra, but i would rather pay $5.00 for Xtra HD (which i do) rather than $5 for the channels i don't watch. Is Classic something that is purposely not mentioned in the packages? Because all i see is Choice/Choice Extra.

#18 ·
lipcrkr said:
Does anyone know what Choice Extra Classic is? I currently have Choice, i used to have Choice Extra, but i would rather pay $5.00 for Xtra HD (which i do) rather than $5 for the channels i don't watch. Is Classic something that is purposely not mentioned in the packages? Because all i see is Choice/Choice Extra.
Choice Extra is what some of us had for many years. The packages have changed but if you have not changed, like myself, you still have the old package which is not termed the Choice Extra Classic.

#19 ·
lipcrkr said:
And if I'm not mistaken, once you switch from Choice Extra Classic, you can't go back. Hence the reason you don't see it listed on their web site.

#21 ·
Just a note, you cant make any programming changes to your acct and be allowed to keep the old package, they will force you to upgrade/change to a current package offering. Even just adding HBO, or cancelling something like the HD Extra Pack will trigger a package change.

#22 ·
CCarncross said:
Just a note, you cant make any programming changes to your acct and be allowed to keep the old package, they will force you to upgrade/change to a current package offering. Even just adding HBO, or cancelling something like the HD Extra Pack will trigger a package change.
Not true. We just removed Sports Pack and were able to keep Choice Xtra Classic.

#23 ·
CCarncross said:
That is only the case for online changes. You can call in and take care of it.

#25 ·
lipcrkr said:
It's the same as the "new" choice xtra but it includes several channels that were removed like "Boomerang" and a few others. The Choice Extra Classic package also costs a dollar more than the "new" package (go figure). :confused:

#26 ·
ThomasM said:
It's the same as the "new" choice xtra but it includes several channels that were removed like "Boomerang" and a few others. The Choice Extra Classic package also costs a dollar more than the "new" package (go figure). :confused:
Initially, these were the channels that were in Choice Xtra Classic, but not in the current Choice Xtra:

Boomerang
CBS Sports Channel
Chiller
NHL Network
Sprout
Style
Tennis Channel

Things may have changed since then, but I have Choice Xtra Classic and have all these channels currently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.